PDA

View Full Version : lizard tanks

moik
02-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Hello, hope everything is well. I have a chance to get some great condition used tanks for a real cheap price (20 high and bigger). The question I have is, these tanks were used to house lizards and amphibians in them. Does this cause a problem if I were to clean and bleach them and get them ready for fish tanks? Is there going to be a bacterial or any other issues to get them ready for fish? Any help would be greatly appreiated. Thanks again

fishmama
02-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I can't think of anything bleach solution wouldn't kill, so you can properly disinfect the tanks. However, I would do a water test to make sure that the seals are still good and there are not leaks before adding fish.

hth
Lisa

greyhoundfan
02-04-2007, 12:20 AM
just make sure the critter tank will be strong enough to hold water. sometimes they are just strictly made for critters.

brewmaster15
02-04-2007, 07:29 AM
The only major problems with using a reptile tank are scratched glass and feces.. The glass is often very scratched by claws, substrate and accessories.

The feces is more a problem though... often the tanks are stained by reptile feces which is high in uric acid ( the white pasty stuff). This material is very hard to clean, Its not very soluable in water, not at all in alcohol ... but it is weakly acidic....so you may need to clean with something like sodium hydoxide..I have had good luck with making a paste out of baking soda and water...and using a scrub brush...

Rinse well... then bleach..

hth,
al

devonpond
02-04-2007, 08:45 AM
just make sure the critter tank will be strong enough to hold water. sometimes they are just strictly made for critters.

This is critical. Some manufacturers make reptile tanks that won't hold water!

"Our terrariums are made for reptiles, snakes, etc. You can NOT fill them with water. Look at our aquariums if you need a water tank."

One manufacturer (http://glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=3)

moik
02-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Hello, and thanks for the input. I have bought 4 20 gal high tanks. These are just going to be odd tanks for quarentine and sick fish and possibly for fry in the early stages. I also keep half-black angels too. I could not pass up these tanks, the tanks are in very good condition and only cost $5.00 a peice. There is one All Glass aquarium and 3 Perfecto brand. I was very curious if they were only critter tanks. As I looked at the perfecto ones there was a tag left under the rim and said gaurentee on all aquariums for 5 years. Also you can see faint water lines on them torwards the top. I have cleaned and disinfected them. They came out spotless. I just filled them up with water, for a water test for a couple of days. I will see how it goes. I thank everyone for their advice.