PDA

View Full Version : Fluoride and Aquariums

AquaticRay
02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Can anyone direct me to good articles on the subject.

Thanks,
ray

Alight
02-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Are you worried about flouride in your tap water affecting your Discus?

Someone asked that question on this site a while back. Seems that most of those on the site have kept Discus in tap water that was flouridated at some point, and none seem to have had particular problems.

Now, if you have very high flouride levels in, say, your well water, then it might have some adverse effects. However, you shouldn't be drinking that water either.

AquaticRay
02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Interested about Fluoride in aquarium water, and what effect it has on fish. How to remove from water. general info. not just discus related.

Graham
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
In all the years that I kept fish while on city water it's not something that I've had a problem with from what I could ever tell...I think it's a non-issue

Edit Ooops.......Activated Carbon will get rid of most of it

and everyone will have nice teeth :)

PDX-PLT
02-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Now, if you have very high flouride levels in, say, your well water. I've never heard of well water with sodium flouride in it. In fact, our dentist prescribed flouride tablets for our kids when they were little (until they started brushing), to make up for the lack of flouride in the water.

Alight
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Actually, it was well water with flouride that made people aware that the stuff prevented tooth decay.

In some areas of the country (some places in Iowa, Minnesota, and others) there is too much flouride in the water which causes darkened teeth and other problems.

My well is like yours. No fluoride, so we have to add it back with washes, etc. to keep our teeth OK.