PDA

View Full Version : Best Lighting?

DMC
02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I would like to know what is the BEST lighting to use to show off your Discus to their best.

I have a planted (low light) tank with onions, crypts, cryspy crinoms? and the likes. I have a 125 gal tank (72" wide) and I'm currently using a Coralife fixture with 50/50 bulbs with the total watts on the tank just barely over 1 watt per gallon.

I'm going to build myself a custom hood with custom lights. My question is what it the best type to show off the fish? I've tried 50/50 and I've tried 10,000K but I know there's better out there. Something that won't make my Mazes, White Scorpions and Snakeskins look like they have a blueish body but will show off their white body color without a green tint so prominent. I personally like a bluer/cool look to the light and I'm hoping there's something out there? Please tell me what brand too (I've noticed that different brands who claim they are both XXXX look different.

Also, since I'm starting this thing from scratch. Any advice on what type of bulbs I should be using ie. compact, T12, T8 or T5? Are T5s brighter looking than T12? Help? Also, seeing as I only have low light requirement plants, what would be the best wattage?

Thank you so much for your help.

D