PDA

View Full Version : FREEZE DRIED BRINE SHRIMP

Greg Richardson
02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Anyone try these?

At bottom of link it lists freeze dried brine shrimp.
http://www.kensfish.com/kensspecialtyfood.html

As you can see in picture looks to big for fry.
But if one was to grind them up into powder I bet they would work.

I realize live BBS gives movement enticing the fry to chase so you lose that factor.

My thoughts are if you squirt cloud of this onto them and parent they should eventually find them on bottom after discovering they taste good from sticking to parents side.
Take longer then regular BBS of course.
I'm thinking it would help me greatly if I could find something to use that would eliminate normal BBS process as I never know my schedule for being here so I could use auto feeder with this.

Thoughts?

Edit - I see Jemco has this product at a better price.

brewmaster15
02-08-2007, 08:39 AM
How about something like this greg...

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?f=*NR&c=308004&t=temartic_e

-al

kaceyo
02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Al,
Have you used one before? I'm wondering how it keeps the saltwater and FW seperate.

brewmaster15
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
No idea kacey... I have not used it.:(

TO address Gregs concern about availibility on the BBS while at work...I've never really worried too much there... If you feed BBS in the AM... that will carry them to mid day... as healthy BBS should last in fresh water 4-6 hours... Then they can graze off the slime coat of the parents until the end of the day when I get in , and I'll feed them again.

Greg, another suggestion for you is to use a light timer...Lights on in the am before wrk... Cover the tank side...have the timer go off at noon while you are work.. It stays off while you are at work... comes back on when you are home...feed bbs... leave the light on... all night and feed bbs before bed. You basically change the daylight cycle to suit your schedule... I used this alot several years ago when I was artificially rearing discus ... and working long hours in the lab.. It works very well, IMO.

HTh,
al

Greg Richardson
02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for info AL. A while back there was a thread about one of these but quite sure it was a different brand and the person wasn't to happy about it.
I'm always open to new things. To bad Jemco doesn't sell one like this as we could call John and see if it really works.