PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma Cacatuoides

Jason S
02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
How do these suckers fair with Discus and my Rams?

Have a LFS ording 2 males and 4 females for me. Have 5 Rams, 2 males and 3 females. No discus yet waiting to see about my summer job travels before sadling my wife with them. Tank is a heavily planted 80 gallon. Lots of pots for caves the Rams don't use and hidey spots.

traco
02-08-2007, 01:12 AM
I've had no problems with mine. I've got 3 juveniles from a spawn I had and they are just fine. I also had mom and dad in the discus tank also, no problems there either. They are definately a bottom dwelling fish, not much higher than plant level for swimming.

Ryan
02-08-2007, 01:23 AM
As long as you have plenty of hiding places and space for territories, they should be okay with the rams. The discus won't mind either species unless they're territorial because of spawning.

Most of the literature I've read about A. cacatuoides says they prefer water in the high 70s temperature range. I keep my discus and rams around 84F. As with any fish, though, there are exceptions to the rule. I've always kept most S.A. cichlids in the low 80s and I've never had a problem.

Ryan

traco
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
That's true Ryan. I just wanted to keep a couple of the baby cacs when I sold the rest. That is why they are in the discus tank. They do like lower temps like you say.