PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who had monterey sand in ur tank, please help!

moneyLaw
02-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry for asking too many questions, but I am just totally confused. Here is the story.

So I spend more than 2-3 hours (may be more) reading almost every single thread about sand substrate in this forum. I get infos about beach sand, pool filter sand, white sand, black sand, play sand etc. I asked and get inputs from lots of people (special thanks to Marie, sonflower and Ryan). I called all the homedepots, lowes and pool store asking for all the different types of sand they had. Then I decide to go with Monterey silica sand. I bought 100lbs of monterey sand from RMC branded "Lapis Lustre" (btw that is the only monterey sand I can find in homedepot, they have other brands, but not label as monterey sand) and put it in the aquarium, it looks wonderful, I was very happy and slept well that night. Then as usual, I google about the product I already bought instead of searching for it before. I found a couple of articles where they were saying that "lapis lustre" sand contains shells and it will cause pH to rise. here is one of the link I found about "lapis lustre" sand.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9602/msg00107.html

So now, I am totally frustrated. Nothing I do seems to go right. I know some people here are currently using monterey sand in their aquarium.

1. are you using the monterey sand from RMC which say "lapis lustre" on the bag? (the one i use is #2/16 size btw, not sure grain size matters)

2. If so, how long you been using it?

3. How do I do the vinegar test? some suggest vinegar doesn't show the bubble clearly and recommend pool acaid (I don't even know where to get that). So please tell me how you tested your sand (just a few drops of vinegar, or drop a fist full of sand into a cup of vinegar).

4. Is pH the only problem I need to worry about? meaning if I check pH regularly and if pH is stable, is that mean I am ok? Do I need to check other parameters as well? because this is for my new tank and I currently don't have any fish in that tank, so I could just keep checking pH for a week to see whether it changes or not.

5. Is checking pH for a week enough? meaning will raise in pH happen later down the road.

I apologize for extremely long and stupid questions. I appreciate your knowledge and inputs.

Thank you.

Kindredspirit
02-10-2007, 10:57 AM
You again? Just teasing!:) Remember, I am Queen Of Questions ~ dumb and dumber...:o Okay...first....Can I please ask your name? lol! I think you may be worrying about nothing ~ I used Monterey Beach Sand as well ~ I do not remember what brand per se'...but as long as silica is in the ingredients ....you shld be okay ~

Is it?

Checking for pH constantly ~ will ultimately, in the end ~ drive you crazy! Trust me ~ Are the fish in the tank yet? Remember you can Google just about anything to disagree or agree with or find out or inquire within....about any subject as to why or why not!!....and what will happen if you DO! No wonder you are confused:)

Marie ~ :coffee:

White Worm
02-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Its fine, I have been using it for months with no ill effects. Doesnt raise my Ph and the discus are quite happy. I have the 30 mesh. I didnt do any tests, just rinsed real good and put it in. With all the substrates being used (especially in planted tanks), I dont think there is much to worry about with this sand. There is very little if any shell to make a difference and 7.6 Ph is nothing to worry about when raising discus.

geekgeek
02-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I have the monterey pool filter sand. I been running it for a year. My tap water is ph 6-6.5 but the tank ph is 6.8 so something is raising it inside the tank. I did find tiny grains of shells within the sand. Plus I have rocks inside the tank too so maybe that contributes to the 0.3 ph difference.

I change water regularly and the tank ph seems to stay between 6.7-6.9 My tap water is always 6.5 or lower.

The tank ph doesn't go above 7.

As long as the ph stays relatively constant in the tank, I won't worry too much about it.

Kindredspirit
02-11-2007, 10:58 AM
See, Money? What'd I say? And these guys know:)

moneyLaw
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Thank you, every one.

geekgeek,
What is the difference between monterey pool filter sand and regular monterey sand?

Hi Marie,

I am trying to catch up to you on # of posts, so got to find excuses to post. :D As for my name, since we are dumb and dumber, i got to be Harry and you got to be lloyd. jk. My name is Soe (pronounce "so"). I am from bay area.

geekgeek
02-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Hi,

I got pool filter sand because on the bag it said, it has been washed, cleaned, and kiln dried. It is nice and smooth and won't hurt Cories.

Paid about 30% more compare to the #10 mesh monterey. But when I rewash it, it was relatively clean.

You can get pool filter sand from swimming pool supply stores. I think they use the sand for filters in swimming pools.

The regular monterey sand for aquarium is cheaper but looks dusty so I went with the pool sand.

Geek

moneyLaw
02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks. The sand I got also has been washed, cleaned and dried. Well I guess Marie is right. I should just quit worrying.:D

tpl*co
02-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I've seen one LFS in the area selling blasting sand (I guess for sand blasting), but I got some "Planting Sand" from another LFS in a bin. It is a light tan color and I really like it. Not too fine so it holds plants. It looks similar to the other stores blasting sand so it may be the same. I believe the blasting sand may have been a Monterey type sand too.

Tina

Apistomaster
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Montery Sand and Gravel markets several gradation of their material for use in aquariums. Close inspection will reveal some shell fragments and run a magnet through it and junk with be found sticking to the magnet and not all is natural.

Still, I have used it for many years without adverse effects. I much prefer the finer gradations. Avoid the small pebble size material.
All the above refers to the natural tan colored "beach" sand.
They also sell pure quartz sand in #8-#10 size that is uniform plain white.
The sizes refer to the number of meshes/inch the sand will pass through and includes the next sized down sieve retaining particles that passed the first sieve.

TheLoveDoctor
01-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Hi,

I got pool filter sand because on the bag it said, it has been washed, cleaned, and kiln dried. It is nice and smooth and won't hurt Cories.

Paid about 30% more compare to the #10 mesh monterey. But when I rewash it, it was relatively clean.

You can get pool filter sand from swimming pool supply stores. I think they use the sand for filters in swimming pools.

The regular monterey sand for aquarium is cheaper but looks dusty so I went with the pool sand.

Geek

Hi.. Ok, I was going to buy Pool filter sand because a guy on youtube, FYI said to buy pool filter sand because it is good, etc. And he also later said that Silica is sharp and can cut Cory Cats belles and barbels, so avoid it, but then I looked up the bag of pool sand he was using and it is silica sand… I went to all of the local pool places and they all said the sand they use is sharp because it filters better & it's silica.

I was all pumped up to buy some, but now I am totally confused…

What is the name of the company and the exact type of sand you bought. I want smooth sand for my cory's so they don't' get cut up!

Thank you very much!

TheLoveDoctor
01-12-2014, 05:58 AM
I was all set on getting small gravel #3 Monterey by Laps Lustre.
Is small gravel the same as pebbles??

I originally wanted to get sand but have been told that most sand has silica and it is sharp and will cut their bellies and barbels.
Is this true? And why avoid Pebbles? Thank you very much!!

TheLoveDoctor
01-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Ok, now I am really confused! Hahaha….

Originally I wanted to get sand for my cory catfish! But have heard stories how most sand has silica and it is sharp and will cut their bellies and barbels!!

So then I decided to get Lapis Lustre All Natural Monterey gravel #3, which the local pet store uses. The owner buys it from a local bulk supplier which makes it much cheaper to buy for me! But then someone on this post said to avoid the pebbles? hahaha… so I am super confused now!!

What I really, really want to buy is SAnd because it is their natural habitat in south america, and the food stays on top of the sand, and doesn't go through the gravel like it does with the pet stores colored gravel. I really, really wanted to do sand, and I have no problem cleaning it multiple times before putting it into the tank / Rinsing it a lot over and over! That's fine!

I know Cory's like to burry themselves into the sand. And the food stays on top better too! But how do you know or what sand is Smooth and not sharp? Can you tell by looking at it or feeling it??

So, #1 can anybody tell me if Monterey sand is safe for them? And what size or mesh or whatever it is called?

And then, #2 I was going to get #3 Lapis Lustre Monterey Gravel, is this ok too?

Thank you for very Much!!

Mike… :)