PDA

View Full Version : fake

sonflowerjoela
02-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi, I have a 72 gallon bowfront and I have discus in it. I read where they like having tree roots to rest in so I bought this big tree root thing from petsmart and I'm just now cleaning the tank and I pulled it out to reararrange the tank a little and this nasty smelling water and poo came out of the root. Will this kill my fish? Is there anything to keep that from happening again that I can do to the root? I appreciate any help or suggetstions. Thanks Jo

fishmama
02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Is it artificial or real wood? I use 10% bleach solution to disinfect all my artifical items. If it is real, you can boil it or run it thru a water and heat only cycle in the dishwasher (bottom rack).

sonflowerjoela
02-10-2007, 02:02 PM
fake wood (plastic)

April
02-10-2007, 02:07 PM
well..guess weekly you may need to take it out..and vacuum and wipe under it. its amazing how fast things get smelling foul. i had a plant pot in there once with a swordplant..couldnt get rid of the smell..then i found the source. anywhere food and poo can get trapped.
yeah..id bleach but let it dry out first to make sure the bleach dissipates.

sonflowerjoela
02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Here is a pic of the tank the big monster looking thing is root I'm talking about. It is plastic decor from petsmart. it has holes in in that fill up with the water and I guess poo and maybe does not come out so it is getting stagnant in there. Is there anyway to correct this?

mmorris
02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I bought a piece of fake wood once that contained a cavity where uneaten food and feces collected. When I found out I threw it away. You could plug up the hole where things collect with aquarium silicone cement or something. Martha

sonflowerjoela
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I think that is what I need to do. The smell was bad. I'm afraid my fish are hurt from it but I had no idea it was doing that.

Graham
02-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Your fish may have been affected by the hydrogen sulfide that formed by anaerobic bacteria in the pocket...before you put it back in, drill some holes or cut an opening in that area so the water can circulate.

sonflowerjoela
02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm going to try that. I hate not to use that piece the discus really like it. Thanks for replies.