PDA

View Full Version : RO REGEN question

honeymonster
02-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi there,i have just starting using an Ro unit and wanted to use 100% RO for waterchanges etc.My tapwater is soft but loaded with Nasties,hence why i want to use 100% RO.My water comes out of the RO with a PH 6 and TDS of 0.I was going to use Joes[Enchanted]formula to raise the Gh to the desired level and Bicarb of soda to raise the KH/PH.Does anybody see a problem with this or is there a better method.Thanks

2RedTurqs
02-12-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm sure an expert will reply. I'm not an expert but I do use 100% RO in my discus tank because I don't trust the quality of the water right out of the tap. I add RO RIGHT to put minerals back into the water and about once a month I add some discus essentials . I also use baking soda to raize the KH. I don't worry about GH. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. My feelings are that I want the water to be stable so I raise the KH to be 3. My GH is actually lower, which confused me because GH is total hardness.

I have my RO unit hooked up to a storage barrel and heat and age the water in between water changes. I change water twice a week. On the weekend I do a 50% water change and on Wednesday I chage 20%.

That my routine hope it helps.

Dave

RandalB
02-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi there,i have just starting using an Ro unit and wanted to use 100% RO for waterchanges etc.My tapwater is soft but loaded with Nasties,hence why i want to use 100% RO.My water comes out of the RO with a PH 6 and TDS of 0.I was going to use Joes[Enchanted]formula to raise the Gh to the desired level and Bicarb of soda to raise the KH/PH.Does anybody see a problem with this or is there a better method.Thanks

I used that method with no problems for years...

RandalB

PDX-PLT
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
My tapwater is soft but loaded with Nasties,hence why i want to use 100% RO.

What "nasties"? Is it potable? Well or municipal?

'just wondering what kind of water is so bad, that it can't even be used when mixed with RO.

korbi_doc
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I used that method with no problems for years...

RandalB

;) As did I, with the exception of the bicarb, never needed to add that! JME Dottie

honeymonster
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi ,thanks for all your replies,so everything should be ok.Just wondered if there is a better alternative to Bicarb for raising the ph/kh ?As at the moment the ph stands at 7 and the Kh is 1.
"wondering what kind of water is so bad, that it can't even be used when mixed with RO"
The tapwater is loaded with Heavy metals,also the water is quite soft,so when mixed with RO will have little effect in raising the hardness.
many thanks Al

annieb
02-14-2007, 02:49 AM
Hi ,thanks for all your replies,so everything should be ok.Just wondered if there is a better alternative to Bicarb for raising the ph/kh ?As at the moment the ph stands at 7 and the Kh is 1.
"wondering what kind of water is so bad, that it can't even be used when mixed with RO"
The tapwater is loaded with Heavy metals,also the water is quite soft,so when mixed with RO will have little effect in raising the hardness.
many thanks Al
Hi Al.
Imo, a KH of 1 is too low. It might result in huge PH swings which could cause serious problems. A KH of 3 or 4 would be safer.
Bing Seto's formula for regenerating RO water.
"A baseline is achieved by adding 3 grams of calcium sulphate, 1 gram of calcium chloride, and 1 gram of magnesium sulphate per 20 gallons of RO water. In most cases this achieves a conductivity reading of 65 - 85 micro siemes. In my opinion, these are perfect parameters for breeding. A reading of 200 to 300 micro siemens produces a perfect environment for growing out youngsters".

honeymonster
02-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Hi Annie,this is the formula/recipe that i am using,It raise the GH but does not affect KH/PH.Thanks Al