PDA

View Full Version : Red Wigglers

Eyal
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Are those Red Wigglers ( in my country we call them differently )

kaceyo
02-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I have been talking with a friend about red wigglers vs common earthworms. Basicly you'd need an expert to identify the worm. If your just going to feed them to your fish you can just collect the small ones, purge and feed. But keeping a culture is a different story. Earthworms need ALOT of soil and need a much deeper bin to be able to keep. RW's can be kept in a few inches of soil and will be fine.
HTH,

Kacey

Eyal
02-13-2007, 06:51 AM
I have been talking with a friend about red wigglers vs common earthworms. Basically you'd need an expert to identify the worm. thanks for the reply , the one thing I'm sure of - they are not
earthworms , i bought them from a man how use them for manure
back here he call them "red California worms "

ed8t
02-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Other names I've heard for Red Wigglers are manure worms, compost worms.

Eyal
02-15-2007, 05:10 PM
So, those are Red Wigglers ?

ed8t
02-15-2007, 06:51 PM
So, those are Red Wigglers ?

Hard to tell with just the pics, the 3rd pic shows banding similar to the red wigglers I keep. Compare the worms you have with the photo gallery here:

http://www.cathyscomposters.com/

pcsb23
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Red Wrigglers is a generic name, in the UK they are known as brandling worms, the one in pic #3 above looks like a brandling. Either way it doesn't matter, nutritionally any earthworm or compost worm is an excellent source of nutrition with readily digetsable proteins. Just make sure no nasty chemicals are used in teh compost they come from.

Eyal
02-17-2007, 06:33 PM