PDA

View Full Version : any breeders in western pa.?

paps
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd like to get back into Discus, the local pet shop has some fairly poor quality turqs, blue diamonds and 1 pigeon blood. all are 25 - 30 bucks a piece. the only other pet shop has about 7 discus for 39-45 dollars, and I didn't see the fish yet. I'd really like to start off with good quality discus but I can't afford the $65 shipping fees on top of the fish. I'm hoping someone can steer me to a breeder within 50 miles of Pittsburgh Pa.

brewmaster15
02-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I'd make the trip to Cary Strong at Greatlakesdiscus.com

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=53049

You can't go wrong with him...

-al

paps
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, he's way too far of a drive from here. I'd like to be able to buy from one of the great breeders on SD, but my budget only allows enough for the fish, but not the extra shipping cost. If I do buy from one of the local shops I can raise the poor quality discus, with a lot of TLC, I've done it in the past , but for once I'd like to buy some good discus. I just don't have any contacts and I haven't seen any pittsburgh area breeders online.

brewmaster15
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi,
I understand the cost aspects but in reality...It doesn't make sense not to start with good fish... The TLC on the local stock you mentioned will probably be more than the shipping on good fish and you'll spend all this time and money on undesireable stock..

Contact the sites sponsors and talk price.. I think you can probably get some nice fish for less than what you pay at LFS...the shipping on 6 fish would be worth it if you really want some decent fish..

What ever you do, good luck, I hope you can find some healthy quality stock in your budget.

take care,
al

moik
02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Helo, I wish you have wrote your post about 4-5 months ago .I live in Pitts pa area and sold alot of discus. All home bred and all proceeds went to a No-Kill shelter. Everyone I sold discus to loved them and still keep in touch with me. Maybe in the near future, I can help you out. I might be looking at getting a shipment in for my personal stock. Around West PA is very slim for good discus. Just high prices and the quality is not there. Keep me in mind if you can not get hands on something decent.

brewmaster15
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Moik,
I remember those discus...they looked great and were extremely reasonable $$..

-al

moik
02-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Hello, not to derail the thread. Brew , you remember me. It took a good while to sell all of them, due to me not shipping. People from Ohio and Pa came to buy. Met some real good people and got some new people started with discus. Every now and then they call and say they are doing good and thank me for getting them started. For the price I was asking, some people that was the only way they could get started. It was an ALL-AROUND a good deal. People got good quality discus fair price and the no-kill shelter was more than greatful. This is something that I will remember forever. I thank everyone for being a part of this.

paps
02-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the replies Al and Moik. Moik if you live around Pittsburgh you know Elmer's. And you know I cant find Discus anywhere, unless I want overpriced reject fish. I don't know of any local breeders. I would probably travel within a 75 mile radius I I could find anyone with decent fish. last year I bought some semi-decent Discus which required alot of work but I turned 'em around and they were doing excellent..... then some thief stole my Jeep from my garage and I got rid of my aquarium....It was making too much noise so I couldn't hear if anyone was sneaking around. Now I got the Discus bug again!