View Full Version : food for yellows

grelot
02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
is there some type of food or some type of food additives that brings out and enhance the yellow color on golden and yellows discus??

Organic Farmer
02-14-2007, 01:55 PM
great question

brewmaster15
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Carophyll Yellow, Hoffmann-La Roche... its the yellow version of the pigment used to color the flesh of salmon ... Yellow is used on some poutry...

Your problem with yellow is that its not a common pigment in foods...so the reds and oranges will over power it... case in point spirulina.. Looks green... but loaded with orange pigments.

Hth,
al

Graham
02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
If memory serves me correct Yellow is from leutin and it's within spirulina along with the majority carotene

I believe the other source is from marigold petals...check the food ingredients for foos with it

G

grelot
02-15-2007, 11:25 AM
but you dont know about a brand of fishfood that contains Carophyll Yellow??

I dont think my fishes will eat poultry food... Does it comes into a powder form that you can add to BH mix?? have you ever tried it??

Also, you guys probably remember American Breeder, I remember he was saying that for his yellow he was feeding them omelettes and that it was making them bright yellow. Anybody ever tried it???does it makes sense, does eggs contains something that can enhance the yellow??

Jason
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
IME the best way to enhance yellow discus is NOT to feed anything than enhances any other colours like red or blue.

Harriett
02-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Jason is pretty much right, I think. I use FBW, FBH, and CBW for my golds and they stay nice and yellow--no orange at all.
Best regards
Harriett

bumblebee
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I were doubted yellow fish were all color fed, but after seeing Kenny(InternationDiscus) yellow discus, I really believed that some yellow will stay that way without any color enhenced food.