PDA

View Full Version : White looking slime on the hoses/cords...

GrillMaster
02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I did a search a couple of weeks ago on this an actually found a short thread. I wanted to dig it back up an discuss it a little further, but cant seem to find it again.

It had a few responses on causes ranging from proteins in the water from high protein foods, the water being hard, an slime from the discus.

The reason for the post? I have this scenario in my tank and my aging barrel. This would exclude the discus slime theory since it is also in my barrel. Proteins from food is also taboo. Again, my aging barrel has the same symptoms.

Fact is it is very annoying, an comes off in the tank when doing WC's looking like dandruff. It doesn't effect the fish at all, but is more visually unappealing.

When this tank was first set up, I was using prime as a dechlor at WC's. After about a week I started seeing a slime build up on everything plastic. Would wipe it off to see it back again the next day. I asked a few what their opinions were, an most were under the impression that it was protein buildup from the food.

I took that as a good theory until I set up my aging barrel. The barrel started getting the same symptoms.

I am now under the impression that the Prime is the culprit, since I add prime directly to the aging barrel now. Prime doesn't remove chlorine/chloramines but converts it to a non toxic form to be removed by the biofilter. It also claims to rejuvenate slime coats. Could this be what is happening on the air lines, an electrical cords?

Wondering what thoughts anyone had on this.

thanks
Mark

Graham
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
It would be a combination of dissolved minerals in the water and bacteria...probably more bacteria than minerals. There no such thing as sterile water, unless you nuked it and then sealed the container

The prime may have something to do with it but I doubt it

GrillMaster
02-15-2007, 11:37 PM
One thing I didn't mention. I have never had anything like this on any of my planted tanks. I have never added prime to any of my planted tanks either.

Mark

PDX-PLT
02-16-2007, 04:57 AM
'probably a bacteria film. I get the same thing in my parrot water bowls if I go to long before changing them out and washing them.

The Prime neutralizes the chlorine/chloramines, which lets the bacteria get a foothold (that's why they put it in potable water in the first place). Maybe you don't want to add it until immediately before transfer into the tanks?

brewmaster15
02-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi Mark,
I get it my water storage barrels as well... and I have well water and add nothing..

Bacteria is everywhere... give it time and it will colonize and reproduce on every surface... add heat as in fish tank or water storage heater and it will grow faster..

The reason you don't see it in your planted tanks is probably because the Micro flora and fauna of that tank is totally different than a water storage tank.. or even a bare bottom discus tank..

Just the aspect of dissolved oxygen and CO2 is different.

Hth,
al

Elite Aquaria
02-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeap it is bacteria. I would just buy a few BN plecos and place in each of your tanks and they will keep your tanks spotless.

Dan

poconogal
02-16-2007, 09:56 AM
I believe its caused by bacteria too. I used to get that film in my WC barrel, as well as on airline tubing, suction cups, etc. in the tank. I don't use Prime. I'm on my own well so no chlorine, etc. What I used to do when I aged my water (now I just use straight tap) and was doing daily WCs was to add a pinch of chlorine into the water barrel just in case I had anything nasty for the fish in my tap water. When I had chlorine in the water, I did not get that film. I would then just dechlorinate the water right before I put it in my tank. (I also left big notes everywhere so that i did not forget to dechlorinate!) In the tank my BNs remove the film from the tubing etc.

Ed13
02-16-2007, 10:03 AM
It would be a combination of dissolved minerals in the water and bacteria...probably more bacteria than minerals. There no such thing as sterile water, unless you nuked it and then sealed the container

The prime may have something to do with it but I doubt it

Yup, bacteria and minerals! If you wipe the tanks more often it won't have a chance to settle. Same with the barrell and hoses, I just clean them weekly with bleach or more easily with a heavy dose of muriatic acid dissolved in water if I need to use it right away.

Timbo
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
When I had chlorine in the water, I did not get that film.

my water is chlorinated (and i dont use a dechlorinator) and i still get that film in my storage barrel, connie. it will start to appear as soon as the chlorine level drops off via off-gassing, which seems to happen quite quickly even without a dechlorinator

the film is harmless

poconogal
02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
my water is chlorinated (and i dont use a dechlorinator) and i still get that film in my storage barrel, connie. it will start to appear as soon as the chlorine level drops off via off-gassing, which seems to happen quite quickly even without a dechlorinator

the film is harmless

Well Timbo, there ya go. You said it starts to appear as soon as the chlorine level drops off, so the film appears when your chlorine is very low or completely gone. It takes 24 hrs. for chlorine to fully dissipate. When I used the barrel, I used to put in a pinch of chlorine every day, so it was always chlorinated until I used a dechlorinator.

Timbo
02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
It takes 24 hrs. for chlorine to fully dissipate.

this has not been my experience. chlorine will dissipate according to how much is in the water in the first place, and if and how much aggitation is provided (air stone, filter)

24 hours is a safe guideline, but its not a fact

poconogal
02-16-2007, 12:30 PM
this has not been my experience. chlorine will dissipate according to how much is in the water in the first place, and if and how much aggitation is provided (air stone, filter)

24 hours is a safe guideline, but its not a fact

Actually, that's what I've read in the past and it was presented as fact, with no qualifiers. But it makes sense to me that if your water is just loaded with chlorine, it should take longer to dissipate. In view of that I would have to say that 24 hrs. would be a guideline, as you said. I've tested my WC barrel water though, with test strips, and did not have any measurable chlorine after 24 hours, but for safety's sake, I always used a dechlorinator, regardless, just to be sure. Better safe than sorry, you know?

Timbo
02-16-2007, 01:00 PM
temperature also affects the speed of chlorine off-gassing, forgot about that one :)

connie, it might be interesting to test your water for chlorine after 6 hours (and after 12 hours) of aeration...it MAY be mostly all gone after 6 hrs. using lots of air will speed up the process considerably

cheers

poconogal
02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
temperature also affects the speed of chlorine off-gassing, forgot about that one :)

connie, it might be interesting to test your water for chlorine after 6 hours (and after 12 hours) of aeration...it MAY be mostly all gone after 6 hrs. using lots of air will speed up the process considerably

cheers
Yes, it would be interesting. When I have a chance I will do it. I had always put in the same amount of chlorine granules, always used the same heater and always used an internal filter which created surface movement, so it can be a "controlled" experiment. :D

GrillMaster
02-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Well the bacteria and minerals makes perfect sense. I will just clean everything a little more frequently from now on.

Al, I can understand why the planted tank is free from this. The plants are just eatin it up...:)

For what its worth, I can dissipate the chlorine in my 40G barrel in about 4 hours running 2 airstones full blast.

tc
Mark

Graham
02-16-2007, 03:42 PM
For what its worth, I can dissipate the chlorine in my 40G barrel in about 4 hours running 2 airstones full blast.

Tested with a quality test kit...are levels high to start with??

G

GrillMaster
02-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Tested with a quality test kit...are levels high to start with??

G

I have never tested the chlorine Graham, the fish dont blink an eye during the WC after a 4 hour age though. That dissipating statement I made was off base for sure. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe this just means that if there is still chlorine in the water after a 4 hour age, it just doesn't bother them. Prime is used, so that could make all the difference.

I was thinking about doing an experiment with chlorine dissipation verses various amounts of aeration 1 airstone, 2 airstones etc... checking the chlorine levels hourly. I dont think the findings would be to conclusive though since everyones water is different. It would be an accurate test for myself, but some just have more chlorine in their water than others.

I would think that someones well water would have less chlorine than say someones city or municiple water.

Mark

Graham
02-17-2007, 02:00 PM
'' ....Prime is used, so that could make all the difference.....''

Ya a major one, :)