PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Changes in Water Hardness on Fry?

BOBT00LS
02-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Hello All. I have a six week old batch of fry that I would like to move from their 29 gallon tank to a new home in a cycled 55 gallon. The water parameters in the 29 gallon which they are currently in are 7.8 PH, 160 PPM, 84 degrees. The parameters in the 55 gallon are 7.8 PH, 80 PPM, and 84 degrees. Do I need to raise the water hardness before transfering them or will this have no effect on them ? I know they are very sensitive to temperature changes as well as PH changes. Can someone let me know the effect of changes in water hardness on them ? Thank You

dandestroy
02-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I have moved many time frys from 50ppm up to 200 (same temp) with no harm.

They seems to be more sensible to temperature variation (like 5 degree difference) than hardness to me.

I think people are over killing the water stuff change situation. I moved form time to time discus from a planted tank at pH 6.6 to a BB tank at 7.2 (3°C difference) and about 200 ppm difference in hardness, and they don't care much. It seems to me that discus are a lot stronger than what people tend to believe.

back to your question, your fry wont see the difference, the main thing that will affect them is the fact that they will be in a new environment. As long as the water is clean the change in water hardness you are talking about will not hurt them at all.

But ... there is always a but... Discus will grow bigger and nicer in harder water. softer water is just a requirement for fertilizing the eggs and eggs eclosion, once they are free swimmer hard water is the way to go