PDA

View Full Version : pH- How low, is too Low?

wannabe68
02-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have very soft water and low pH. pH levels are 6.0 or lower. I have read that pH is relatively unimportant, as long as it is constant. Mine pH seems to stay constant. Couple of questions. I do have driftwood in my Discus tanks and I know this has a tendancy to lower the pH. I treat my water with Prime. My tapwater is around 7.0. Does a low pH adversely affect discus and should I attempt to raise the pH level? (ie baking soda).
Any help would be appreciated.

brewmaster15
02-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Your pH is fine for discus...wish I had it!:) I would not mess with it...sounds like you can regulate it fine with water changes..

If down the road you start having issues with pH due to stocking levels or growing fry, you can easily bring your pH and hardness up with some crushed coral, oyster shells, and epsom salt. But if your discus are happy I would not try to manipulate pH.

hth,
al

FishLover888
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure how you get 6.0 or lower with tap water pH at 7.0. Driftwood would not do that for you. Long period of no water change will lower pH for soft water too. How often/much do you change your water?

Discus like pH lower than 7 so you are fine with that.

Graham
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
If the KH of the tap water is low then it'll take very little of any kind of acid to lower the pH...the tannins in the driftwood might be all it'll take.

Nitrification and some time will also lower it, but most hobbyists do water changes long before that point occurs or they should be

ShinShin
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
pH is more important than some want to admit. If you maintain a tank at a pH of 5.8 to 6.0, your discus will thrive. They will be less susceptable to stress induced disease as one benifit.

Mat