PDA

View Full Version : CBW, the Discus Aphrodisiac and a New Happy Couple

poconogal
02-17-2007, 01:11 PM
What I've been hoping for has happened! I've been hoping that my Stendker Blue PB would pair up with my WB. The Blue PB is a confirmed female and I am 99.999% sure that my WB is a male (lips, fins, breeding tube etc.). The Blue PB and the WB have been shivering at each other since yesterday, on and off, and the WB is cleaning the filter tube in the right corner of the tank. I'm going to start baking the wedding cake...

My Rose Reds, who spawned once about 2 months ago, began shivering at each other yesterday, too! They are cleaning off a leaf in their area, the middle of the tank.

And, in the left corner, my BD and my Leopard are shivering today and cleaning the UV sterilizer, which is their weekly spawning spot.

It's the CBW! It has to be, LOL!! The BD and Leopard began spawning when I was feeding CBW. When I began feeding CBW again, the Rose Reds spawned. Now I've just gotten a shipment of CBW from Dan at Aquatic Foods and have fed them a few times, and the WB, Blue PB and Rose Reds are shivering. It the CBW aphrodisiac!

roclement
02-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Connie, I am glad you got the CBW, the only problem is convincing the discus that every other food you put in there are good to! They tend to get addicted! When I was breeding, the live foods always got them going!

Good Luck, turn on some Barry Manilow!

Rod

Kindredspirit
02-18-2007, 10:04 AM
It's the CBW! It has to be, LOL!!

Of course it is dear:) You are too funny I swear ~ You and your spawning discus woman! Why do you not just open a brothel?

Good for you Connie! I hope to get some disgusting slithering creatures soon from Dan ~

Keep us posted!

Marie ~ :coffee:

poconogal
02-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Marie, I have to say that Dan's CBW look really, really good... nice and fresh and clean. While I stick my fingers in the little cups you get from the LFS, its a whole other experience to stick your fingers into the worm keeper box filled with so many of them... eeeek! I just decided to use a plastic fork, its actually easier than the fingers anyway! LOL!

My Rose Red, Rose, laid eggs last night. Her mate, Rudy, again just cleaned them, then munched on a few. Then my leopard male, who is much bigger than my Rose Reds, came over with his honey, my BD, and they pushed the Rose Reds out of the way and ate all the eggs. Rose valiantly tried to stop them, and Rudy came to help too, to no avail. :cry:

The leopard and BD will have eggs shortly. And the Stendker Blue PB and my WB are still shivering at each other, so should be soon for them too.

And remember, I'm that one that always says No spawning, I want NO spawning... sheesh....

poconogal
02-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Connie, I am glad you got the CBW, the only problem is convincing the discus that every other food you put in there are good to! They tend to get addicted! When I was breeding, the live foods always got them going!

Good Luck, turn on some Barry Manilow!

Rod
Hey Rod, thanks! I know what you mean about they're becoming addicted! That's why now I only feed them CBW once a day, at night when I get home from work. The rest of the day they get Tetra Bits from the auto feeder. But now, my Discus eat anything I put in the tank, anyway, including the algae wafers for the poor Pleco! LOL!!

used2bBubbles
02-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey, Connie, instead of baking that wedding cake did you get out the old shotgun? That will motivate some males to "do the right thing," or as they say down saoth, "do the right thang."

I loved feeding my guys CBW because there was nothing left; no little pieces of flake floating around. Nice and clean.

Good luck!!

poconogal
02-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey Kath... yes, that's true about the CBW being nice and clean, and I notice that there's less poo, too, and the poo is smaller.

Here's an update: the Stendker and the WB had eggs tonight, and the Rose Reds had eggs again tonight.. :confused: I guess they didn't finish last night, but this time the male did make passes over the eggs; two months ago he didn't. They were fighting off the leopard for a long time tonight, this time they were not backing down, but then I think they got exhausted from fighting, so I just shut off the tank lights, I couldn't watch them fight anymore! The leopard had another egg dinner...

The WB did not make any passes over the eggs, but the female Stendker kept pushing him away. This is the first time for the WB, he's a young male.

The BD and leopard were still shivering tonight in their corner. Probably have eggs tomorrow. There was just so much shivering today in that tank, 3 pairs at the same time, it was funny to see. And there was lots of fighting too. I think I'm going to have to open another tank at this rate.

used2bBubbles
02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
If that leopard would just get on with the spawning he wouldn't have to eat anybody else's eggs! Here's hoping he gets his act together!

Wow, it does sound like you need another tank or two....sounds like these discus are acting like angelfish. Not good!!!! :(