PDA

View Full Version : oil dri?

Ardan
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Has anyone tried oil dri as a plant substrate? It is just a clay product.
Can't seem to find soilmaster at a local store.

thanks
Ardan

Ed13
02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Never heard of it but, what happen to just using #3 gravel and plain old laterite? I've had amazing results just using these as a combo. I really don't like "plant" substrates.
The way I see it is, if you really what a substrate specifically desinged for aquatic plants then you might as well spend good money of the ADA stuff

discusfire4
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Oil dry? I thinks thats just like cat litter. If thats what you are looking for, you may want to try Home Depot or Lowes.

Polar_Bear
02-19-2007, 02:52 AM
Ardan,
Over time kitty litter tends to break down and becomes mud, one of the reasons it has fallen by the wayside as an aquatic substrate.

GrillMaster
02-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Lesco is the only place I know of that sells soilmaster Ardan. I am sure there is one close by you somewhere. Never heard of oil dri...

tc
Mark

Ardan
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I did the search , closest Lesco is 1/2 hour away, in Illinois:) Will have to take a drive when I get a chance.
Ardan

GrillMaster
02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Call them first Ardan to make sure they have it. If they dont, they will order it for you and let u know when it comes in.

Make sure you rinse it good when you get it!

tc
Mark

Polar_Bear
02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. I did the search , closest Lesco is 1/2 hour away, in Illinois:) Will have to take a drive when I get a chance.
Ardan

Ardan,
There's one very close to me (within walking distance of Gurnee Mills) it will give you an excuse to drop by.

Apistomaster
02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
The problem with kitty litter is as has been already pointed out is it's instability. When sintered it becomes the stable expensive substrates sold by all the main suppliers of planted tank substrates. The sintering process fuses and expands the particles and is just short of having been turned into a true ceramic, hence it's stability.

I urge the use of the Florabase substrate covered with a layer of sand and then in pots of clear plastic for major rooted large plants. They are easily individually fertilized, with stick fertilizers and roots are confined. Moving these potted plants becomes easy for redecorating or for use in bare bottom tanks. In a tank with a substrate the pots are invisible.

Enormous Echinodorus sword plants can be grown this way in very small containers,(4x4x3 inch) and moved if desired without stressing the plants. A clear plastic potting container buried in the surounding substrate is invisible yet care of the individual plants is greatly simplified.

I have grown E. bleheri Swords so large the single plant absolutely filled a std 50 gallon tank using this method many times.

I only use Nutrafin Plant Gro Sticks myself. No CO2. Just decent lighting, 2 watts min/gal/20 inch max depth.