PDA

View Full Version : is this a good way to sex discus??????

discus_Keeper
02-18-2007, 10:56 PM
i found this source online and i want to know if it works like the guy who wrote it says it works??????

and will it work on small discus too???

here is the link.... http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/sexingdiscus.shtml

thanks i need a response ASAP because im going to try it on a small red turq and dare to pair one up with my lone discus(which if the sorce is right my discus is a female).....

Darren's Discus
02-18-2007, 11:40 PM
That is one way although not always true as with most ways to sex discus whether by finage,lips,chins,colour .Use that way and see how you go !

cheers
(guessing is half the fun )

discus_Keeper
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
That is one way although not always true as with most ways to sex discus whether by finage,lips,chins,colour .Use that way and see how you go !

cheers
(guessing is half the fun )

ok thanks. so i have a 3" discus that if that diagram is right is a female and i will try to get a male tomorrow.

i know that people say if you ONLY have 2 discus, one will be bullied and die... but what if they are the opposite sex will one still get bullied???? or will they stick together even though there is only 2 of them???

so what im asking is...... will they be ok together (just the 2 of them) if i guess right and i get 1 male and 1 female??????

thanks.

White Worm
02-19-2007, 11:27 PM
It just depends. 2 could possibly get along depending on their temperment. usually a pair will get along. There is no real black and white rule just advice or options from experience. The norm with discus is to put them with a group because they feel more secure, disperse their cichlid behavior more evenly throughout a group without one taking the brunt and of course better chance a getting a pair with a group. Even if you get a female and male, it doesnt mean they will pair, get along or mate. People have kept 1,2,3,4, etc but it doesnt mean it is the best option. Keep an eye on them and you will be able to tell pretty soon if things are going to work out. The best advice here is to give you your best chance of success. You have a higher % of success with a 55g with 5-6 discus. If you cant do it, save till you can...It will be worth it in the long run.

I really dont see that fem/male method working since there are people out there selling low quality discus that are football-shaped which would always fall into that female picture. If every discus was exactly the same...maybe....or the experts who have been doing it a long time might be able but I'll bet they are even wrong on occasion. Best way is looking at their reproductive parts or getting wrigglers.

Two other things, dont just go out and get one and throw it in. You should keep the new one in Qt for a few weeks so you dont get your other one sick. Also since you have one who has already established the tank as his own, it may be very hard to introduce one newbie.

Polar_Bear
02-19-2007, 11:51 PM
When using that method all young discus appear to be females, it is only when they get at least to sub-adult stage that there is a chance that it will work. Other factors to consider are that high bodied and/or high finned types will obviously throw this off. I use a modified form of the diagram and use only the dorsal and caudal fins, I am usually about 80% correct, but again it will only work for adult discus.

discus_Keeper
02-20-2007, 12:39 AM
ok thanks for the quick responses. my current discus is a bit pushy and chases my angels around a bit so i might have to get rid of him and get the new guy.??

or...........

or will it work if i keep both discus if the agression of the current discus will spread around to the angels too??? if my current discus bully's the angels, wount the agression spread around????? and the new discus will not be the only one that will be harasset.?????/ so will it work?? this way its like having 5 discus since i have 3 angels and will have 2 discus.

thanks again.

White Worm
02-20-2007, 03:14 AM
Cichlids will most likely have aggression against their own kind first. It may be that yours is naturally aggressive to anything and I'll bet more so to any new discus addition. Why get this new one and get rid of the old one? You will be in the same predicament you are in now. Depending on your tank size, get yourself 4-5 new ones when you can afford it, QT them and add them to your existing one. Put the angels in a different tank. I dont think this is going to work if you get the new one. Your chances are pretty slim with the way you already describe the one you currently have. What size tank?

discus_Keeper
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
ok thanks for your help. the tank is a 32 gallon so i can't fit too many discus in there.

im just going to trade my current one for a new discus.

White Worm
02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Upgrade to a 55g tank and get yourself 5-6 good quality discus. Till then, I guess you will have to make due with what suits you. You could always trade all the angels away and have 5 discus as long as you kept up with good water changes. Good Luck.

JeffreyRichard
02-20-2007, 02:51 PM
As the orginal poster of that DBWS article, I'll tell you that this method is only reliable for ADULT discus. And, as this was posted about 10 years ago, hi-bodied discus were not considered.

discus_Keeper
02-21-2007, 03:49 PM
well i guess im lucky.

i just got him yesterday and he is fine with my old discus. my older discus does not bother him too much and goes for the angels most of the time(which is good)

the new discus that i just got is much better grade than my 1'st one. his eyes are tiny compared to his body size and he is not football shaped like the other one :)

i don't know if the agression will increase but if it does, i will trade my old discus in for something else.

thanks

White Worm
02-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Its only a matter of time before you have problems if you dont listen to advice. In a few days you may have a totally different turn around in behavior (they just met and the truce may only be temporary). Not to mention, you didnt QT which means you are playing with fire and taking chances with getting your fish sick especially when dealing with a lfs. Hope you dont do that in the future. Everything may turn out fine but dont consider what you did to be good practice or the norm. Good Luck.