PDA

View Full Version : RO prefilters

pwsusi
02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
What would be the recommended prefilters for someone like myself who is on well water (no chlorine or chloramines)? About every 6 months I'm changing my prefilters and the carbon block is the most expensive....so i'm wondering if i am wasting my money with the carbon since i'm on well. Or, maybe I should still be buying it but changing it less frequently?

Anyway, here is a break down of my water parameters as well as a list of the filters i'm currently using.

-Point of entry - 3 x 10'' canisters....20 micron sediment filter, 10 micron sediment filter, 5 micron sediment filter. Followed by one of those whole house stainless steel UV lights rated at 12GPM (don't know if this does anything but my total plate count was high...so got a good deal on this...offers a little peace of mind). This water feeds my drip system used for the grow-out tanks.

-R/O for breeder tanks - The already prefiltered water from point of entry then feeds the R/O unit. The three R/O prefilter canisters have a 1 micron sediment filter, followed by a 5 micron solid carbon block, followed by a Doulton ceramic candle filter rated at .9 microns absolute for bacteria and cysts.

- Drinking water under sink also gets a 5 micron carbon block and a doulton :)

So is this over kill? twice a year i'm spending at least 40 bucks on the carbon blocks, plus all the sediment filters, plus once a year buying a new bulb for the UV which is expensive. Want to cut costs a bit but also don't want to run into problems with the fish.

well water stats:
conductivity - 300 uS
GH - 11 dH
KH - 4 dH
pH - 7.8 (after degassing...straight out of the tap is like 7.2)

Thanks,
Paul

Ed13
02-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Randall is probably the most qualified to answer this question.
The funny part is it turns out I have pretty much the same parameters as you(I'm on city water) So I'm thinking of doing something very similar, but

--Point of entry - one wholehouse sediment filters 25 micron;3 x 10'' canisters....10 micron sediment filter, 5 micron carbon filter, 1 micron carbon filter. The whole house stainless steel UV lights rated at 12GPM sounds awfully good with my water, but its probably not needed. This water to be use for the grow-out tanks.

- breeder tanks - The water from point of entry to feed the R/O unit. The three R/O prefilter canisters will have a 5 micron sediment filter, followed by two 1 micron carbon , followed by two RO membranes one membrane piggy backed from the waste water of the first (lesson learned here from Randall and Paul:) )

For drinking water the family can use the water from the point of entry, Ro is only for the breeders:D

I'm not much help since after all I would like to copy your set up, but I think that the UV light is the first thing I would remove. But then again I'd rather pay $$$ on good water

Moon
02-20-2007, 03:25 PM
My well water is very similar to yours. The ph is a little higher at 8.2. I have sediment filters and the RO membrane. There is no need for carbon block. I do not believe in UV treatment for my fish. I change the RO membrane about once a year. I think an additional sediment filter will extend the life of the membrane. Mine is a small unit at 20g a day. Within a month or so I am planning to get a 100g unit.
What is the pressure of your well water?
Joe

pwsusi
02-20-2007, 04:58 PM
" I do not believe in UV treatment for my fish"
I don't either. The one I have is not one of the recirculating ones that you put on your tank, it's one that is designed for point of entry and *supposed* to kill bacteria on contact since the water flows through it once. Who knows how good of a job it does. It's made by Sterilite, it's stainless steel and is rated at 12GPM.

"What is the pressure of your well water?"
My well pump is 40/60. My sprinkler guy cranked up the pressure a bit for the sprinklers and of course I had him show me how and i cranked it up a little more :). Although this is a moot point because I ended up getting an Aquatec 8800 booster pump which i have set at 100psi. Big improvement in production after I added the pump.

Ed13
02-20-2007, 07:06 PM
" I do not believe in UV treatment for my fish"
I don't either. The one I have is not one of the recirculating ones that you put on your tank, it's one that is designed for point of entry and *supposed* to kill bacteria on contact since the water flows through it once. Who knows how good of a job it does. It's made by Sterilite, it's stainless steel and is rated at 12GPM.

I did understand it correctly, but in most cases using city water its not needed, on well water could be an insurance policy(again, not an expert here) if you really want to safe some cash then you might reduce the numbers of the carbon filters since you don't have chlorine or chloramines

RandalB
02-20-2007, 10:17 PM
The carbon is in fact, an insurance policy. If you know for sure you don't have dissolved organics, heavy metals or Radon in your well water, you can certainly do without it.

RandalB

pwsusi
02-21-2007, 06:26 AM
how long of a life should i expect to get out of the carbon block? is changing every 6 months about right?

dishpanhands
02-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Depends on how much water you use. I have to replace my pre-filters about every two months.

dishpanhands
02-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Just wanted to add that if I was you I would put a pressure gauge after the pre-filters and let that tell you when to change your filters. This won't work if your have chlorine or chloramines.

RandalB
02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Depends on water volume and what the prefilters are rated for. Also, what's in the water. I'm lucky to get 2 months with the tadpole filled liquid rock I'm dealing with 'round these here parts...

RandalB