PDA

View Full Version : Different sizes in same tank?

RobMc
02-20-2007, 04:02 PM
OK, I guess I'm still a fish nut. Following last weeks catastrophe (see 'broken tank' bleow!) I now have two 6-7" discus left. Obviously they need more discus to make a happy tank. My question is this: how do I set up a new tank with them in it? Do I have to bite the financial bullet for large, mostly grown discus to keep the sizes relatively close? Or can I house smaller, still growing babies in with these two adults?

Thanks again to all those who helped me through my traumatic weekend. You guys are the best!

Rob

Harriett
02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
My best guess is that the big guys will harass the little guys badly; stress will likely keep them from eating and growing out well to potential in best case scenario, and worst case is that they will get sick from constant stress or injured from the abuse. I realize it's a much larger $ investment to get bigger fish---it's a predicament, but I really wouldn't do it....
Don't forget that you'll need to QT your new fish before they could go into the big guys tank, whatever size you end up with.
Best regards
Harriett

FishLover888
02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I have 11 discus in a 125 tank and they range from 3.5" to 5.5". No problems so far. I added the 3 bigger 5.5" just about 3 months ago.

I think my major concerns is the feeding. Young discus need to be fed more and adults do not need that much. You will have to find the balance point. Most likely, your young discus may not reach the full size. If you don't care about that, you should be fine.

Harriett
02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
fishlover:
I've had ok experiences mixing sizes of discus WHEN there are a whole school of them, for sure---but mixing only 2 big guys and some little fish seems pretty dicey to me.
I agree with the things you said regarding food issues.

Rob, best of luck anyhow! Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out! My favorite thing, new discus!
Harriett

White Worm
02-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I would bite the bullet. Save your pennies and get similar size. I have found that juveniles dont grow as well when they are with adults. Seems they just dont reach their potential while competing with adults for food, status, territory, etc. JMO.

Greg Richardson
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
One option would be to get a tank like a 100 gallon and put a divider in it until the younger fish catch up.

EyeOfThierry
02-20-2007, 11:00 PM
One option would be to get a tank like a 100 gallon and put a divider in it until the younger fish catch up.

I've tried that.. the small fish always want to get with the bigger ones.. that is, they jump over no matter how improbable it may seem for them to do so. Guess they just want to be together.. and then get harrased when food time comes, etc... Right now, i do have mix of everyone and it seems ok... but if i had more room 4th tank, a grow out tank, i'd do it.
1 main tank 55gal.
1 breeding tank 29gal
1 qt tank 10gal.

breeding tank becomes rearing tank when it happens... haven't been successful yet with full breeding cycle, so haven't run out of room completely.

fish in total in main tank at moment... 6 discus...
other fish too but all small tetras, rams.

t_j
02-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Well I have all dif. sizes in my tank and it seems to work no problems. Try to buy nothing smaller then 3"-4" thats what I do or buy as big as you can afford to. JME

Greg Richardson
02-21-2007, 02:20 AM
I've tried that.. the small fish always want to get with the bigger ones.. that is, they jump over no matter how improbable it may seem for them to do so.

If you go to HD and get egg crate grid material installing it to top of lid you shouldn't have that problem.

Your question has a lot to do with your goals for your fish.
If you mix your fish size wise and want your young ones to have the best opportunity to obtain size quickly, then your ability more than likely to do that without seperating them in one tank, or different tanks, will be lower.

Alight
02-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I've grown out several different sizes using a divider to keep them separate until they are of fairly equal sizes. It works quite well.