PDA

View Full Version : Got a New tank

Islank
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Well, its a new tank for me. I bought a 55 gallon acrylic tank off craigslist for $40. I just waiting on some scratch remover to make the tank look newer. I'm lookin to start a low tech planted tank with a pair of Adult Discus.
My questions are:
Whats the best type of filtration for this type of tank?
How many watts would be good for a planted tank?
Anybody know of a Discus breeder in the Portland, Oregon area?

GrillMaster
02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Welcome to SD!!

The filter depends on what you really want the tank to look like. If you want a natural looking tank, I would go for a canister filter. Maybe an Filstar XP2. They are fairly cheap an very good filters for the money. I have an XP3. This will give you an oppurtunity to get c02 later on down the road if you desire.

That bein said, if you dont want c02, or you are not concerned with natural looking, any filter will work if it is rated for a 55G.

If you want a low maintainence tank go with 1.5 wpg. You will be limited on the amount of plants you can grow, but there are plenty to make a nice planted tank with this lighting.

The options are endless. It just depends on what you want your tank to look like in the long run.

There are breeders here that will ship to you, an are actually sponsors on this site. These will get you the best quality discus IMO. Take a look thru the sponsor section an look at what they have to offer.

hth
Mark

swinters66
02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree...you cant go wrong with a good canister filter! I like that they are quiet...compared to my husbands fish tanks...mine is super quiet! Lovin' that!! And I personally think there is no such thing as too much filtration. I use an Eheim canister, and there are plenty of brands to choose from.

I havent done live plants...so as far as your lighting, i wouldnt know what wattage...I would think it would have to depend on how heavily planted you want your tank.

Good price on that tank by the way! Have fun setting it all up!! :)

PDX-PLT
02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Anybody know of a Discus breeder in the Portland, Oregon area?

These guys are listed as a dealer for German Stendker Discus, and they're in NE Portland: http://www.cichlidexchange.com/ I don't know anything about them; one concern from their website is that they say they will ship fish, but won't guarantee live arrival of discus!? I think the sponsors here typically do guarantee live arrival.

Islank
02-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Would a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter work. I happen to have one laying around the house. Heres a link to one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3597&N=2004+22777

korbi_doc
02-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Would a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter work. I happen to have one laying around the house. Heres a link to one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3597&N=2004+22777

:D I have 2 HOT Magnum filters & love'm...so yes, it will work...I also have AquaClear 500s on my tank, if you decide you need more filtration, the ACs are great......JMO, Dottie ;)

Apistomaster
02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
The cichlidexchange sells retail as a sideline and are primarily wholesalers to the PNW region. You pays your money and take your chances with them.
I know both Steve and Shane and they are an ok company to do business with especially for us "locals." I have never received dead fish from them.

I recommend canister filters but not HOT's. They are much less reliable than the classic canister filters like Ehiem(my preference), Filstar, and Fluvals are the best models. Buy one size up from their recommendations as they tend to overinflate their specifications(all) and you will not be sorry.

I prefer Wet/dry filters for discus and only use my Ehiems as supplemental filters but that is purely a matter of personal preference arrived at over 40 years keeping and breeding discus. Wet/drys help maintain saturated oxgen levels and canisters, by there design use a lot of dissolved oxygen. The use of the spray bar helps but is also greatly reduces their actual gph return flows considerably. I use a flared nozzle return sold separately.
A simple air stone will do more good if you elect the canister filter.
Larry W.