PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my new RO unit

gta333
02-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Im setting up my new RO unit today. It says that it works better if the input temp is 77 degrees. I was planning on tapping into my cold water line with a shut-off valve. But I know the temp is now where near 77 degrees. would I want to tap into both hot and cold lines and run them together and run to regulator so I can control the input temp. Im a electrician. Plumbling is something that I know just enough to get by. any advice out there. sorry if I sound like a complete idiot. have a great day. gary

steve.ryall
02-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Gary,

Think that the 77degrees is the optimum temperature to run your RO unit at. I am quite sure that no one I know has that temp from the mains. I certainly dont. Maybe if you live in a warmer part of the world your water would be warmer, in the UK it is COLD!!!
I would not worry about mixing hot and cold, more trouble than it is worth, plus an extra expence of heating the water too.

HTH

Steve

Polar_Bear
02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I pretty much agree with Steve. Trying to mix your hot and cold water in the way you suggest probably wouldn't work well anyway, it would almost certainly be too hot then. Understand that 77F is optimal only, the unit will still work fine with colder water, just not as effeciently (you'll have more "waste" water is all)

gta333
02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the advice from you two. just got back from home depot going down and cut in a line right now. thanks gary

gta333
02-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I got the ro system hooked up and running. I have a question. How much water will discharge in a 24 hour time frame. my unit is a 75GPD I have the pressure at 50psi. Now on my control valve on my waste water line should it be all the way open or half way. I need a little help fine tuning this. I sure hope the tanks full of discus and angels will like this change. Im thinking of doing a 70 to 30 ro mix. does that sound ok or should I go all ro. thanks gary

Ed13
02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
check your tds before and after the membrane and then decide what your mix should be depending if you are breeding or raising individuals.

pcsb23
02-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I got the ro system hooked up and running. I have a question. How much water will discharge in a 24 hour time frame. my unit is a 75GPD I have the pressure at 50psi. Now on my control valve on my waste water line should it be all the way open or half way. I need a little help fine tuning this. I sure hope the tanks full of discus and angels will like this change. Im thinking of doing a 70 to 30 ro mix. does that sound ok or should I go all ro. thanks gary
Gary the rated output is only ever achieved under "optimum" conditions, 50psi isn't bad though and if the input temp is reasonable you should get close to the 75 gals product (ie RO) water. the waste valve should be wide open imo.

hth,

Buckeye Field Supply
03-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Gary - so you ordered an adjustable flow restrictor? If so, MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Keep the blue handled flush valve closed except when flushing the membrane. Dial in the chrome adjustable flow restrictor to give you a 4 to 1 waste to permeate ratio. Anything between 3:1 and 5:1 is OK.

Also - I'm trying to respond to your PM but your mailbox is full.

Russ @ BFS

gta333
03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Gary - so you ordered an adjustable flow restrictor? If so, MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Keep the blue handled flush valve closed except when flushing the membrane. Dial in the chrome adjustable flow restrictor to give you a 4:1 waste:permeate ratio. Anything between 3:1 and 5:1 is OK.

Also - I'm trying to respond to your PM but your mailbox is full.

Russ @ BFS

Russ cleared Pm mailbox. thanks gary

RandalB
03-18-2007, 08:55 PM

Do you want to know how much concentrate (Waste) or Product water per 24 hours? For product post your TDS and Temp and we can figure it out for you...

RandalB

Tropical Haven
03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey Russ, do you have any good deals on some RO units?

RandalB
03-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately Russ can't answer that question on the board until he decides about becoming a sponsor (it's a violation of Simply's commercial sales policy..) . You may want to drop him an Email or contact him through his website. I think you can figure out the URL...

HTH,
RandalB