PDA

View Full Version : swelled eye

dean
02-26-2007, 03:10 PM
After 2.5 years without any problems, now in addition to the BD being ill, now one of the RSG has an eye swelled up and cloudy. He still eats just doesnt come to the front to fight for it.

AmberC
02-26-2007, 03:17 PM
That sounds like pop-eye and I believe that usually comes from something being wrong with the water. You can usually clear it up with good clean water (lots of water changes) and I have found melafix to help too.

poconogal
02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Sounds like popeye, which is usually a bacterial infection. It can happen from a fish being hit in the eye as well (that happened to one of mine, it was repeatedly poked in its eye by another Discus defending eggs). I found Melafix helped mine dramactically (even though some call it junk). If you have no luck with that, Maracyn 2 will take care of it. However, like Amber said, something's up with your water. How often are you doing WCs and what is your fish load, tank size, etc. Have you tested your water? If so, what are your params? How often are you cleaning your filter(s)? Do you have substrate? If so, how often are you vaccuming it, and how thorough a job do you do? You'll have to take care of whatever it is with your water that's causing this problem - medication will just be a bandaid, otherwise.