PDA

View Full Version : which are considered as the best schooling fish ?

anandat
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Hello guys,
I want to have school of 7 to 10 fishes.
Please tell me which are considered as the best schooling fish ?

Following are my requirement.
1) they should be school tightly all the time.
2) should be good looking with attractive colors or with funny behaviors
3) should accept all kind of food & must be hardy
4) should be compatible with discus also ;)

Ed13
02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I can only think of Rummy nose tetras and/or serpae tetras
1) Both school tightly all the time.
2) Both are good looking with attractive colors or with funny behaviors.
3) Both accept all kind of foods but the serpae are hardier.
4) Both are compatible with discus also

The Rummy are a better option since they are rarely fin nippers, which the serpae MIGHT be if the school is too small (15-25 sounds good) or if the tank is too small (75g or larger are better since for some reason large schools like to follow themselves in circles). I have 31 Rummys in a 90gal and they are just awesome

poconogal
02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I agree with Ed on the Rummy Noses. I just love them, they look great in a school and are peaceful. I have a small school of 10 in my community tank. They also have the added benefit of being an early warning system - if your water quality is not good, their little red "noses" will become pale.

tpl*co
02-27-2007, 04:51 PM
How big is your tank? LOL. Now for those really big tanks (100 + gallons) redline sharks make a great schooling display ;). I like cardinals too (for not so big tanks ;)).

Tina

Ed13
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
How big is your tank? LOL. Now for those really big tanks (100 + gallons) redline sharks make a great schooling display ;). I like cardinals too (for not so big tanks ;)).

Tina
No, no, no....:) Remember it has to be a tight schooler :) ;) ;) and both of these swim more in a shoal than a school, but they are some of the best looking out there. Personally I hate mixing fish from different parts of the world(Asia vs SA for example) even if they are domestics, but that is one of my little quirks!:p

donaldbyrd
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Tina

I thought the redline sharks prefer cooler waters? like below 80?

FishLover888
03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
What about 10 glass cat fish? They should look good.

Not sure about keeping them with discus or not. Anyone tried it before?

Cakes
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Tina

While a school of redlines would look great that would be very expensive.

fishmama
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
I have had 6 asian glass cats (I know Ed...mixing SA w/Asian not your favorite ;-) with my discus for a year at 84.5 F avg temp. They have not only survived, but grown quite a bit! Here are some photos of others I have with discus:

dpt8
03-20-2007, 06:20 PM
My vote is for rummy-nose tetras. I have 23 of them in a 90 gl. with two large pieces of driftwood and 5 santerem discus. All looks so cool.. I have always kept rummy nose. They take the heat really well and live long. Pink red faces look so beautiful. They school back and forth. Gold tetras look really cool also. Maybe 20 of them.

tpl*co
03-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I thought the redline sharks prefer cooler waters? like below 80?

Got them in discus temps no problems, even had one with my discus at 86 and he got huge!

The only problem now I have is that I have 5 in with my discus in the 125, and where one was OK with my alpha fish before, sometimes at feeding time the redlines can intimidate the discus now since they are faster. Usually though, there are no problems.

Tina

neon
03-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I think blue rams or kribs make a very nice school. I kept both of these with discus no trouble. My tank is a 29gal.:)

Ed13
03-26-2007, 11:12 PM
While rams are a nice addition to a discus tank they are more shoalers than schoolers. They like the harem and will swim together but they won't really school, kinda like cories.

Last time I checked most blackwater rivers in Asia resemble rivers in SA, it is to be expected that these fish, Puntius denisonii, can handle discus temps. But don't underestimate them they grow larger than most think, and need big tanks in order to keep a school. I've seen them around 6" retailing for $35-$45 dollars, really healthy, but most customers tought that was way to high, after some reading on the net I figured that was a really good bargain!

swinters66
03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I keep harlequin rasboras with my discus. They school, swim fairly tightly together and eat anything I put in the tank. Ive also liked the black neon tetras. Neither has ever bothered the discus. But rasboras are my all time favorite. Not sure where they are from though.

Ed13
03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I keep harlequin rasboras with my discus. They school, swim fairly tightly together and eat anything I put in the tank. Ive also liked the black neon tetras. Neither has ever bothered the discus. But rasboras are my all time favorite. Not sure where they are from though.

Very good choice. Harlequin and Roseline Sharks are pretty much the only Asian Fish I like, of course not counting Asian Discus;)

If you are ever unsure most tetras in the hobby are from Central & South America (not all ie Congos) and most barbs and Rasboras are from Asia. New world vs Old World if you will

Darter02
04-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I’m not sure if you would consider these shoaling or schooling fish, they are always mostly together, but I enjoy my Bleeding Heart Tetras. They’re larger, colorful when healthy, very peaceful and I like how they interact with each other. I currently have around 15 or so in my 75g, planted aquarium. They get along fine with the Discus and other tank mates.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/399897854_8046ef928e_o.jpg

Deepak
05-04-2007, 04:16 AM
How about Carnegiella strigata or Marble Hatchet fish. They are excellent jumpers tho. A large school looks attractive.

Serpae tetras IME are naughty fin nippers, even in schools. They will harrass Discus. Red Phantom might be a better option.

There are many barbs like Cherry, Checkerboard, Ruby, Rosy, Clown, Schuberti etc. but they don't school real tight.

TauriX
05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
They are Asian natives so the purists would never mix them with discus but they are native to the Asian peat swamps, so they are quite compatable. Plus, they're so cute!

alxjss
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
They are Asian natives so the purists would never mix them with discus but they are native to the Asian peat swamps, so they are quite compatable. Plus, they're so cute!

I have 15 rasboras and want more. Love these little guys. They r not real tight, but i like them well. I also have zebra dianio's. they seem not to be bothered by the temps. Only been since sunday tho. Hope they will be okay:confused:
PS, they r in w/my discus

AmberC
05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
[quote=Deepak;389794]

Serpae tetras IME are naughty fin nippers, even in schools. They will harrass Discus. quote]

I've got serpae's in with my discus and really they only bother eachother. I have never seen them go near my discus.

Amber

Ed13
05-24-2007, 12:10 AM
[quote=Deepak;389794]

Serpae tetras IME are naughty fin nippers, even in schools. They will harrass Discus. quote]

I've got serpae's in with my discus and really they only bother eachother. I have never seen them go near my discus.

Amber

The larger the school and the longer the tank the more this behaviour seems to disippate

shuggi
06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I,ve asked this on the newcomers forum but has anyone tried Lemon Tetras?

Apistomaster
06-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Nearly all the Tetras remain in tight schools when they are frightened. Otherwise they tend to subdivide into loose subdivided groups. Which one you choose is very much a mater of taste beyond making sure they are comfortable in discus conditions. My list reflects my own biases.

I would not recommend H. serpae to my worst enemy. Their behavior is nearly indistiguishable from similarly sized young Piranhas.

Red Phantoms require very cool temperatures and are not suitable in Discus tanks. Black Phantoms are OK, Rummy Noses are among the best choices, I don't think Cardinals are all that well suited to discus tanks. I think many would agree that they have to keep adding them in order to keep their original numbers up. I think that is a clue that theyprefer lower temperatures than discus. Bleeding Hearts are very good . They have a size that matches the discus better than the smaller Tetras from an overall esthetic POV.
Black Neons are good with Discus. Lemon Tetras are probably best kept below 84F but they are possibly fine. The Spotted Head Stander will do well with discus

Other small fish that are generally Discus compatible are the Pencilfish and Silver Hatchetfish. The Marble Hatchetfish are not easy to keep, period. They will not last long unless they are regularly fed live fruitflies and mosquito larvae.

I believe the red line barbs are best kept with similar, large active fish and that they unintentionally make Discus nervous. Again, just a matter of taste, but I prefer not mixing fish from different Continents. Congo Tetras are another tempting fish but are too rambunctious to keep with discus. I know that for every generality I've made there will be many who have had different experiences and successes with combos I would not try. Just as I have kept G. surinamensis with Discus and most would not think that would be a workable combination. Sometimes you just never know unless you experiment.

As I mentioned, this is a list and suggestions based on personal taste and experience. There is room for all styles of community fish but I think it is best to put the needs and preferences of the fish ahead of all else.

yippy
06-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Nobody will believe me!!!! I had 20 neon tetras and my discus ate them !!!! Then I got some Congo tetras and they were fine - but they are greedy with food so I got rid of some and kept 6. I kept the males as they have lovley finnage and theyre striking looking fish under lighting.

Yippy:)

aloha_discus
06-23-2007, 12:06 PM
I have school of 50 emerald eye tetras in a 72 bow that stay in tight schools. They mainly atay at the top half of the tank and the eyes are bright green.

Ike