PDA

View Full Version : Discus Peppering

jsn
02-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey everyone, I got some pigeon bloods at a pretty cheap price (yes you get what you pay for) But I am wondering, they have quite a bit of peppering, is there a way to minimize this as they mature? or are they most likely going to carry this peppering for life?

Thanks (I hope this is an ok place to post this question)

standoyo
02-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi JSN,

Will be with them for life mate. Lighter backgrounds will cause them to reduce the peppering. It also shows up badly when mating and stressed out.
Shows up a lot when in planted tanks.
HTH

jsn
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Alright, thats what I figured. The whole batch was peppered, but I'll grow them out anyway, just won't let them mate :p Thanks for the answer.

grelot
02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
they will cary it for life but can be dimished in keeping them in a very light background bare bottom tank. I've also heard of people keeping them under strong lighting 24/7 to remove peppering but I've never tried.

But the pepper will not disappear from the fishes, they will continue the be genetically peppered fishes. The pepper will just be "hidden". But if you breed them they will pass the pepper to the offsping

AADiscus
02-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Another thing is to make sure the bottom of your tank is painted in a light color or cover it with white paper (or whatever you want).

mandisc
02-28-2007, 03:26 PM
peppering or not , as long as you love your discus , that's fine to me cos beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ! lol

saary
11-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi JSN,

Will be with them for life mate. Lighter backgrounds will cause them to reduce the peppering. It also shows up badly when mating and stressed out.
Shows up a lot when in planted tanks.
HTH

i have notices that when i moved my discus from my planted tank to QT with TetraMedica Contraspot. all the peppering went away. and after returning them to the planted tank the peppering came back :( !

is it the driftwood or a special plant causing this?

Skip
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
i have notices that when i moved my discus from my planted tank to QT with TetraMedica Contraspot. all the peppering went away. and after returning them to the planted tank the peppering came back :( !

is it the driftwood or a special plant causing this?

two things.. 1. you know this thread is over 4 yrs old from last post.. so the person your "quoting" has not been here for 3 yrs..

2. peppering is caused by the GENETIC Make up of the individual fish.. fish that have Pigeon Blood genetic are prone to Peppering.. light environments keep the peppering down.. but can still show up.. Dark Tanks.. can make it show up more..

saary
11-22-2011, 11:32 AM
i know its an old thread. i just wanted to updated it with my experience :)

my QT was about 37L with 10 discus. i know it is toooo small. but i had no choice. i had white spots on some of my discus so i had to move them to the QT with TetraMedica Contraspot and after 2 days i noticed the peppering went away. and my QT was in a darker place !

is it the all the plants or a special plant or it is the TetraMedica Contraspot !

saary
11-22-2011, 11:36 AM
btw my QT was plastic not glass and light green in color and matt.

Skip
11-22-2011, 11:36 AM
don't know.. it could be many things.. i have never heard of Tetramedica product