PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for covering a sponge filter

etr63
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi All
Well it finally happened. One of my pairs actually got to the free swimmer stage. WOO HOO! I only see 2 or 3 free swimmers in the tank. I know more hatched than that. I think that the sponge filter may have got them. I’m still excited that they got this far. When this pair was in the big tank she would eat the eggs as soon as she laid the last egg. The free swimmers are swimming around the tank and not really hanging around the parents. What does everyone use to cover their sponge filters to stop the fry from being attracted to it? I think I read here that pantyhose is used but won’t they unravel when cut? I know when my wife nicks one with a fingernail it spreads like mad. Even though I don’t have a lot of hope that these fry will make it, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel now.
Thanks
Earl

White Worm
02-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Use white and no they wont split if you use scissors. Take the filter out for a little bit if you cant get the pantyhose, lower the water level to just above the parents fins. Keep the water very clean especially without a filter for just a short time to see if they attach.

AADiscus
02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I would use tights instead of panty hose. They are thicker than panty hose. You will have to cover the filter a few times with panty hose to keep alot of the black from showing. Hopefully the tank they are in isn't that big. If you are still using RO water I would start switching them to pure aged tap. (depending on your water parameters). Make sure you keep up with daily large wc's and wiping of the tank. This is very important right now.

CAGE-RATTLER
03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I tried cheese cloth once ............. dont do that tho ........... it dissolved into a real mess .... lol.

dishpanhands
03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I have been trying to use filter pad. I use this in my wet dry filter.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4353&N=2004+113808
I cut a strip then wrap it around the sponge. they last a long time. you can wash and reuse them...
HTH

etr63
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the feed back guys.
I got the panty hose and am trying that. Shee spawned again the night before last. She hasent eaten the three fry that she has now. They did attach after I removed the sponge filter. Will have to see how it goes. I am a amateur at the breeding thing but it looks like the male did a good job this time as allmost all the eggs are dark. Just a couple of white ones here and there. sorry I havent chimed in sooner, I have been running like a mad man lately. I will let every one know how it turns out.
Thanks again
Earl

etr63
03-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi All
A little update. The second spawn has hatched and mom and dad seem to be doing a great job. This morning the wigglers were all over the bottom of the tank. By this afternoon they had rounded them all up and put them back on the glass. There are a couple sitting on top of the sponge filter. Hopefully they will get away when they go free swimming. Not sure how many at this time but at least 30 would be a fair estimate. This is so cool. Will update as things progress. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Earl

Greg Richardson
03-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Congrats Earl! Yesssss!!!

Apistomaster
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I guess I just don't understand.

I use sponge filters specifically to prevent fry from being sucked into a filter.
What kind of sponge filters are sucking in fry?
I use both the Hydrosponge and the Azoo pedestal style of sponge filters on my tanks and I don't lose even fry as small as those of Tetras or wild betta such as Betta imbellis. Also on my cherry shrimp breeding set ups.
It is hard for me to imagine losing anything let alone discus fry with one.
Larry Waybright

etr63
03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi All
Update: All are free swimming and attached to the parrents. They are staying in the back of the tank so its hard to get any kind of a count. The fry are swimming between mom and dad. Now worry sets in. I don’t want to mess this up. So here are a few questions.
When can I start doing WCs again? The last one was just before wigglers.
Is it OK to start feeding the parents at this time? (I have not been feeding then since they had wigglers)
I am setting up a Brine shrimp hatchery, so what is the best way to get the BBS to the fry? I read here that a turkey baster will work but after using one in the past to gather up fry (an attempt to artificially raise fry) I found it difficult to keep them in the baster long enough to get them out of the tank so it would seem just as difficult to keep the BBS in there long enough to get them to the fry.
Please someone, anyone talk me through this.
Thanks
Earl
Hi Larry
I have a Hydro sponge 5 and a AC 30 with a pre filter. I thought that they were getting stuck on the hydrosponge since it was much darker than the parents.
Earl

Elite Aquaria
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Turkey baster is what I use. If the hole is to big add a piece of airline tubbing to the end. Aim and shoot

Dan

AADiscus
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
You need to do a wc soon. Keep up with daily wc's. Ours will get two a day. Make sure and keep the parents feed good.

Alight
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
With newly free swimming fry, I siphon the bottom of the tank with a siphon, into a white bucket, so if I suck up some fry, I can put them back in the tank.

I then siphon out the water for the WC with a garden hose, on the end of which I have sponge from a sponge filter. This keeps any fry from being sucked down the drain.

To do a thorough water change, I only siphon down about halfway, then start to pump water back into the tank at the same time from the side opposite the siphon. This way, you can change out essentially 100% of the water.

To feed BBS, I use one of those little plastic pipettes that come with some of the test kits (all of the Hagen test kits) to blow the BBS toward the babies. After 3-4 days, you won't have to do this anymore, just add the BBS anywhere in the tank, and they'll find them all.

Canadian_velvet
03-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I like the whisper bio bags to put over the end of my power filter.. it allows fast water movement and doesn't plug up the way pantyhose does, and the white colour doesn't attract the fry.
I also treat the fry by age 12 days with Quick Cure (formulin and malachite green) to prevent gill flukes from killing fry. Even if I think my pairs are clean, I will sometimes have a massive fry die off if I don't treat.

billeagan
03-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Tights/Panty hose... Just don't use your wife's unless you tell her =0

Mine got a little upset when she couldn't find a pair and I showed her the breeding tank =0 The fish need to look good too I said=)

Squiggy
03-25-2007, 11:56 AM
:inquisitive:

So...I should use my own pantyhose and leave hers alone?

:crazy:

billeagan
03-26-2007, 08:42 AM
:inquisitive:

So...I should use my own pantyhose and leave hers alone?

:crazy:

Just her heels... you'll break the backs of them. You can dry out the panty hose, I think =)