PDA

View Full Version : hurt and fungus

grelot
03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I netted 2 of my adults fishes to put them in a breeding tank 2 days ago. One of them was hurt a bit by the netting, nothing severe, just lost a few scales.
but this morning the area where he lost the scales are white and a bit cottony.

what would you suggest is the best suited here?? I've read info here on the board while searching on fungus and I found that you suggested maroxy and other antibiotics etc, is it only for very severe case?? can I just add an antifungal like met blue??

I have at hands met blue, furan2, erythromycin, PP, salt, tea tree oil, quick cure (but it is old, dont know if still good).

What do you suggest would be my best thing to do in my case??

Graham
03-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Gently catch the fish and swab the spot with some iodine on a Q-tip. Then good water and some Furan since you have it.

grelot
03-04-2007, 12:49 PM
this may help you to visualise what it looks like.
It seems very non severe to me, what do you think?
is it really a case of furan2 or just iodine will do??

Also the female is in the tank with him, she has nothing at all. Should I put her back into the community tank before to do a treatment or should I leave her there??

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/392/downloadcamera0004zn7.jpg

Graham
03-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Iodine would be enough for that

pcsb23
03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I have found salt dips to be effective with this type of fungus, either that or a gentle swab with iodine as Graham says. No need for anything stronger imo, just keep up with w/c's.

grelot
03-04-2007, 05:49 PM
I did the swab with iodine. What it does after is very scary, everywhere I put the iodine it turned black. Hope it is Ok, I would hate to have worsened him.

The fish look completely stressed now after the iodine thing so I hope I wont need to do another iodine swab.

There is no need for an antifungal in the water??? Shouldnt I put met blue in the water.

Graham
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
You should be fine and one swab generally is all that needed. If the water quality if good and the organics low you really don't need the MB.

pcsb23
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Don't put anything in the water, no further meds should be necessary. Iodine stains where it touches.

grelot
03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys for comforting me. I love that male and would hate to lose him for such a stupid thing as netting him.

he now looks stressed a bit, breath fast etc but the water is clean so there shouldnt be no problem (I hope).

The only thing is that once out of the water the fungused areas were very hard to see so there are a few small patches that I didnt swab. Do you think those patches will resorb only with clean water and salt??

right now they are in 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons, should I increae it or it is ok you think??

pcsb23
03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the salt to be honest, clean water should do the trick from here. Just keep an eye on it for the next few days.

White Worm
03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Next time you move them, try by hand. If that is not feasable, get yourself a large ziplock bag. Put it under water to release all air bubbles and maneuver the discus into the bag (lift bag full of water with discus and dump into breeder tank). Do it rather quickly because they have a tendancy to slice the bag in a couple places and your bag will spring leaks pretty quick. I dont like nets because discus can get caught if they are large and you dont have a large enough net.

grelot
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
it is not easy to catch a discus in a 65 gallons tank with your hands.
The nets sold in pet shop are rough also. I should try to find a net sold for fries in trout fish farms, they are softer.

the trick of the large ziploc may be good too.

thank you guy fr your quick help.

I'll show pics when he is fully healed and ready to breed.

grelot
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
just to make sure everything is normal,

the area that I swabed with iodine are now white and peeling off. Is this what is normally supposed to happen??

Graham
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
it's fine ....relax

brewmaster15
03-05-2007, 05:36 AM
I've never seen net damage cause infections like that....Usually superficial wounds from a net don't get infected like that... I'd clean that net...or better yet ....pitch it and buy a new one...

Jehmco.com has some wood handle ones with a cloth net that I use...I have yet to find a softer or better net...

hth,
al

grelot
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
the net was brand new, still wrapped in plastic