PDA

View Full Version : low TDS issue in breeding tank?

dandestroy
03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Hello

I'm having some problem getting a good and stable low TDS in a 25 gallon breeding tank and therefore end up with white eggs a lot (male is not sterile since when I artificially raised the fry 95% of the egs became wigler and free swimmer)

here is my issue, I put a mix of RO/tap water 24hr aged that have a TDS of 125 ppm. every day I do a 25% WC with pure RO, but after 4 days or so if I take the TDS it will show around 250ppm.

1) if I do 25% WC each day, and that I only put back pure RO water at 0 TDS, is it bad for my discus or can I consider this the same as having mixed tap with RO?

2)what should I do to maintain a proper TDS constant at a level that is convenient for breeding and not end up having high TDS after a few days.

pcsb23
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
There is something a bit whacky with these numbers, either that or something is raising the TDS. Assuming the RO water is towrds zero then the TDS should fall daily, not rise. I would suggest you do a cross check with a standard hardness test kit, both gh and kh at least it should indicate the true hardness.

Maybe some acid is inreasing the number of hydrogen ions...:confused:

dishpanhands
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Put pure RO water in it till you get the TDS down. Don't mix with tap till you get it down to were you want it. Then after it start to get to low and enough add tap to bring it up..It won't hurt the fish till you get it way low. They will love the pure RO its just like rain water to them.You will need to age it but don't put the tap water in the ageing tank.I always add the hadness after I fill the tank with RO.
HTH

dishpanhands
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Just wanted to add the the TDS in your storage tank will be lower then your tank water, because evaporation in the fish tank will make it go up very slow...

Alight
03-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Up your overall water changes. I suspect the TDS may not be the problem, only a symptom of the problem with the unhatched eggs.

The TDS increase is not due to calcium, (unless you have some limestone or other calcium carbonate in your tank somewhere), and calcium is what you are trying to limit.

The TDS increase is almost certainly due to fish wastes and is comprised on nitrates, nitric acid, and other ionic fish waste compounds.

This stuff is not good for your fish, or the eggs.

I'd use the 125 mix you normally use, and up your water changes until your TDS stays nearer 125 (maybe as high as 175). Use the TDS as an indication that you need to do another water change.

LizStreithorst
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I've been told that the water I keep my breeders in is not compatable with life, so you can discount this if you like. My best results have been keeping my breeders and fry in unconstituted RO. So my opinion on the subject is that there is no such thing as using too much RO.

dandestroy
03-05-2007, 05:07 PM
forgot to say that its a BB tank with an hydro sponge V and that is it. So unless the breeding cone is leaching some mineral, I going to have to go with the "to much waste accumulation" form fish feces and food I guess.

So i will try adding more RO with larger WC to see, I will also tun a GH/KH test tonight to check that my number ar corelating with my TDS meter.

thanks for the input it really help.

kaceyo
03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
For the most part I wouldn't worry about the TDS of the Tank water as it will always be higher than the water you put in during wc's. There is desolved food, fish waste and slime etc that all raise the TDS. Control whats going into the tank and you should be OK.

Kacey

Elite Aquaria
03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I think something seems funny about your numbers also. I mix my tap and RO water then store until I need to do a water change. I siphon off the bottoms. EOD or sometimes daily, it depends. My tap water is about 140 uS and RO is 4. A 4 parts RO to 6 parts Tap yields about 80 uS. You must be heavily overfeeding your fish. What type of food are you feeding? I only do some blood worms, live CBW and occasionally some Omega One flake.

Dan

dandestroy
03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I feed color bites, some FBW, and Frozen mysis.

3 meals per day.

I try not to overfeed but I clearly do with the color bites.

Elite Aquaria
03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Thaw the Mysis shrimp in some water then pour it into a net and rinse a little with cool water. Either cut back on the tetra bits or cut out completely. Try some live food, especially if you over feed a lot. Blood worms are fine.

Dan

dandestroy
03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Well well well I learn something weird today

When I put my TDS directly into my tank I get TDS around 450ppm.

But when I use a cup to take some water out, and then use my TDS in that cup, I get the TDS value of 25 ppm.

So I went ot my water storage barel, tried the same thing, TDS of 250 in the barrel, but when measured in a glass or cup of water I get TDS of 5.

Its not about moving the water since I have tried with movement and without.

weird??

kaceyo
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Now THAT is odd. My water, aged or tap, reads the same in a cup or in the barrel. I don't check the tanks TDS so I don't know about that, but it shouldn't make any difference what container the water is in. Do you give it a little time to settle down so the reading is stable? I'd check it with another TDS meter and see what you come up with.

Kacey

Cosmo
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Have you cleaned your TDS meter lately?

kaceyo
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Have you cleaned your TDS meter lately?:thumbsup:

dandestroy
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Yep its always clean... I'm a clean freak person.

I have sterilized my water barrel because I tough that it was making my RO go sour. Anyways seems like this is not the reason for these reading.

Next Tuesday, I will try to post a video showing what I do, and What I get for reading.

Alight
03-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Flourescent lights can affect TDS, pH and other electronic readings.

So can stray currents from heaters, etc.

Best to take a sample of the water far away from electrical outlets, lights, cords, etc., and measure the sample there.

Also, make sure your batteries are new.

dandestroy
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
well it would sounds about right according to what you are saying. It is the best explanation.

All these worries for nothing after all. So now my TDS is good for breeding.

I bet they are going to breed when I'm gone for 3 days this week-end.:D