PDA

View Full Version : today is a sad day, I lost my dicus

dandestroy
03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I woke up this morning and went for the morning feeding of my little discus that were about 8 weeks old. These were my first successful spawn that I had raised artificially form the start.

So this morning they were all dead.

Seems like bleaching my hot magnum micro cartridge was not a good idea after all. I feel so bad since I had done it previously, but I guess this time I didn't rinse it properly or let it dried long enough. Anyways, I guess the cartridge leached some javel into the water during the night.

I feel so bad since I had work a lot on these little guys, and that my pairs does not seems to be able to do that work on their own yet. They were looking great as well, a good 1.5" all round and promising.

lesson learn I guess. You can be sure that I will take my rage on that piece of crappy hot magnum that has done nothing good so far for me... only trouble.

AADiscus
03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your lose. Hopefully your pair will get back together and you can have all the excitement again!

fishmama
03-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh man...big bummer. So sorry to hear that. I would be crushed too :-(

FishLover888
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear that. Ditch the filter and buy a better one. Too much is depending on it.

A question, Why would you want to bleach the cartrige? I leave my filter media alone except clean it with tank water. I don't even trust to do so with tap water. Bleach will kill the good bacteria too. I'm not sure if it was the bleach or the ammo spike that killed your fish.

Bleach takes a long time to rinse off for sure. Unless you are thinking of having health problems in the tank, I really don't see any need to use it. If you are really concerned about health issues, I think an UV unit is much better option.

Elaine_Bryant
03-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Thats so sad, I know how it feels to lose them and feel guilty about how it happened. You'll have more babies soon. Elaine

LizStreithorst
03-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Dan. Don't kick yourself or the filter too much. Screw ups are inevitable.
The HOT Magnum is a great tool. Don't junk it. Make sure you rinse those cartriges very well and let them dry in the sun until there is no clorine odor what so ever. I even have a Magnum on a tank with the daddy and a bunch of 10 day old fry. I have a sponge over the intake. The water is so much cleaner. It has to be better for the fish.
My hat is off to anyone who can artificially raise Discus. Gather yourself up and give it another go.

April
03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
the microfilter is meant to be bleached. i let mine dry for a long time. i have a few i alternate.
i know how you feel...i lost a whole batch i grew out to about 2 inches by leaving the hot water running once..by morning..they were all cooked. alot of hard work..and then nothing.
sorry for your loss.

Eyal
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear that :( , good luck next time

bz79
03-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I bleach my HOT Magnum micro filter but then soak it in a mixture of Prime for a day, haven't had any problems.
BTW buy a second filter if you don't have one so you rotate them out, while one is being cleaned the other can be used.

dandestroy
03-07-2007, 01:03 AM
thanks for all your support

PDX-PLT
03-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Hot water will also help dissipate bleach.

How unfortunate. :(

Ardan
03-07-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Ardan

Elite Aquaria
03-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I bleach my HOT Magnum micro filter but then soak it in a mixture of Prime for a day, haven't had any problems.
BTW buy a second filter if you don't have one so you rotate them out, while one is being cleaned the other can be used.

I agree add some Prime and it should take care of the issue in a few hours...Sorry about the loss.

Dan

Kindredspirit
03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Sorry Dan ~ hang in there and remember Simply is with you:)