PDA

View Full Version : DO WE ALL USE THE SAME TAPE MEASURE ??

dpt8
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
I am not picking on ANY ONE on this sight, but some people do crack me up when they advertise a certain size fish, and you can tell by the pic the fish are not as large as advertised. I for one have bought some discus online, and been disappointed in the size or shape of the fish. How many people has this happened to ??

I also can say I have bought from Dan V. and Mario ( Turkis) in the past and have felt the fish they sent me were even BIGGER and Fatter than they said.

Darren's Discus
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey,
some of us are males and it's our nature to say it's bigger than it really is ! (depends where your measuring from body size or total length)

cheers

Eyal
03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey,
some of us are males and it's our nature to say it's bigger than it really is ! (depends where your measuring from body size or total length)

cheers

ha ha ha ha hah :D :D

Elaine_Bryant
03-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I guess men have their own tape measure LOL..........I tried to measure my new discus but they wouldn't stay still while I put the tape measure against them.

DarkDiscus
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I sense a standard length vs. total length debate about to explode...

Squiggy
03-07-2007, 03:21 PM
It seems the different tape measures is based mostly on whether you're buying or selling....or bragging...

Joe

Ed13
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
An honest person would at least state wether SL or TL was used and if there is a picture provided maybe even place an object near for comparison

Hey,

cheers
:confused: :angry: :o :( :) :D :bandana:

It seems the different tape measures is based mostly on whether you're buying or selling....or bragging...

Joe
Unfortunately true, understating when buying and overstating/bragging:bandana: when selling are common practices. But when confronted they change at will the criteria used to compare!

dpt8
03-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Squiggy and Ed13... I think you guys hit the nail on the head... huh huh huh huh...

steve.ryall
03-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I think we have to take into account the fact that you lot over the pond use those 'big' divisions on the tape, and perhaps some of you are lookng at the other side of the tape, same numbers, different sizes. It's called Inches and Centimeters. lol :D

ok, I'm now ducking..........

Steve

Elcid
03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't know how many ppl use a tape measure to measure discus. I can only think of Chuckbam :) It's awfully cruel don't you think? ......My experience with fish I've bought suggests that Adults come in 3 sizes :argue: "Small female" always around 5 inches which means it's more than 4" and less than 6" including tail and imaginary tongue :) "Good size" is always around 6 inches which means it's more than 5" and definately less than 7", "Huge" always means that it's a 7" fish or in other words it's more than 6" :)

To tell you the truth Discus sellers are more honest than other fish sellers. For example, when I buy saltwater angels the size is usually classified into Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, Show and the interpretation of what these sizes mean can vary considerably.

HTH,
Sandeep

Bainbridge Mike
03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I think we have to take into account the fact that you lot over the pond use those 'big' divisions on the tape, and perhaps some of you are lookng at the other side of the tape, same numbers, different sizes. It's called Inches and Centimeters. lol :D

ok, I'm now ducking..........

Steve

Very Funny Steve:

I remember from grade school (back in the 70's) there was a big effort to go metric in the U.S. We spent a few days in class measuring and weighing things using the metric system. It lasted all of about a month and we as a country gave up.

I think the tendency to overestimate the size of our fish comes naturally from the pride we all take in our husbandry skills. Bigger discus are healthier discus, right?

Cheers,
Mike