PDA

View Full Version : Correcting my tap water

Dentate
03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

I recently moved, tested the municipal tap water and found the following: pH-9, KH-2, GH-2. My understanding is that the pH should be ok for growing out discus (might need to lower it for the planted aquarium...), but I'll need to raise the GH to around 12 and KH to around 3. Is this accurate? I assume the use of calcium chloride, calcium sulfate, and magnesium sulfate to raise the GH should be ok(http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=34286) with a bit of baking soda for the KH? Thanks for your help!

Robin

White Worm
03-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I would leave it. Why would you want 12 hardness?

Dentate
03-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I was under the impression that you want the water a bit harder (in the range of 200ppm) for growing out juveniles. Is this not the case?

FishLover888
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
pH 9? That's really high IMO

Alight
03-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Try the GH 2 water for grow out. It may work out just fine. If you have short external gill plates or fin deformities, then increase the hardness in the next batch (GH 5 would be enough), and see if it helps.

Some breeders did a test here, using very soft and moderately hard water for grow out. For some, it didn't matter at all, while others way fewer deformities in the harder water.

From my own experience, slightly harder water (GH 4-6) reduces deformities with my water. However, I suspect the culprit is not the softness, per se, but rather something in the water that the additional calcium in the harder water neutralizes.

As to pH, try it in your tank, and test it after the fish have been in the tank 24 hours. With the relatively low (but OK)kH you have, the pH may move into a nice, comfortable range, and stay there with 50-60% water changes every day.

Dentate
03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the responses! I should also mention that I'm completely new to discus and am preparing to setup my aquarium with some 2.5-3" young ones. Thus, I have no practical knowledge with regard to discus keeping, only what I have read and fabricated in my aged brain.

FishLover888: Agreed, pH 9 is pretty d**n high. I'd like it lower but it is my understanding that the acidic environment is only required for breeding, with young and adult discus generally doing ok at basic levels. It's better to leave the pH constant than run the risk of having it fluctuate too much. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Alight: Thanks for the info. This purchase of discus will hopefully be my only one for awhile, I'd thus really rather avoid deformities at all. Am I correct in assuming that deformities would be more prevalent growing out fry rather than at the 2.5-3" size planned for my tank?

We'll see what happens with the pH. Hopefully your scenario will pan out. Perhaps I won't have to play around with chemicals to adjust the water... that would be nice. That said, I do want the fish to be happy and healthy...

White Worm
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Next step is buying quality discus. Browse the sponsors section or locate someone close (local breeder maybe). Important to start with quality fish after research is done. Cycle your tank first, keep the water clean and feed lots of good foods and this hobby is a breeze :D

Ed13
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Next step is buying quality discus. Browse the sponsors section or locate someone close (local breeder maybe). Important to start with quality fish after research is done. Cycle your tank first, keep the water clean and feed lots of good foods and this hobby is a breeze :D
That alone is a great advise, quality stock is 50% of succes, the other 50% is divided between water quality 25%(read water changes with stable parameters) anf 25% of quality foods (read high in digestible proteins various times per day)

Good luck

Dentate
03-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks again for the helpful info!

Mikscus: Yeah, I'm meeting with Kenny from International Discus on Saturday to take a gander at his fish. I'll be transferring the dual AC70s from my 125 to the discus tank, so cycling will be accomplished without ordeal. I've ordered plenty of tasty foods (with automatic feeding) for my soon to be house mates and plan on doing 50% water changes daily. I'll let you know whether it's a breeze or not in a few months. :)

Ed13: Thanks very much for the references. Regarding water parameters, the articles I found were certainly helpful, although a few still suggested a GH of 5-6+. Perhaps I missed the exact one you were thinking of? -Hehe, nevermind. Found the thread just below this one, Ed13.

White Worm
03-08-2007, 02:37 AM
You are in good hands with Kenny. You will not only get great fish but a crap load of friendly advice, communication and follow-up with Kenny. He is not just a discus breeder/seller/importer. You will become his friend instead of his customer. He knows alot about discus and water so spend some time and pick his brain because he loves to sit and talk discus :D

Alight
03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Am I correct in assuming that deformities would be more prevalent growing out fry rather than at the 2.5-3" size planned for my tank?

You are correct. You should have no problems growing out your Discus in the water you have.

From my experience, there is a critical time between hatching and about 10 days old where having harder water is important for reducing deformities. After that, it's too late to prevent them with harder water, and keeping them in softer water doesn't introduce more deformities.

Dentate
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I aged some water with aeration for the past 24 hours in a 5 gallon container and the pH dropped to 7.5. Not exactly what I expected, but a good thing nonetheless. I also retested the KH and GH (tap and aged); both came out to be 3 this time around. Either I need to revisit preschool and refresh my memory on counting to ten or there is something interesting with my water/test kit... I think registering with Redwood Children's Center is probably the safer bet. :D

Mikscus: Good to hear. He seems like a really nice fellow from our brief discussion. I'm excited to chat and get to know his fish!

Alight: Cool, thanks! Good stuff to know.