PDA

View Full Version : Hanging up the fishnets.......

John_Nicholson
03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
The newcomers around here will not know who I am but I wanted to let all of the old timers know that after doing this for a lot of years and after producing literally thousands of fry I am hanging up my fishnets……..And no nothing is wrong I simply have run out of the time it takes to do stuff the way that I feel it needs to be done. I may still stop by from time to time and I am still planning on making the ACA this year, but I am shutting down the fishroom and selling everything off. At some point I will try to get a post up for that but haven’t felt like taking an inventory of everything yet. Oh its been a great run and I have met some great people.

Thanks for all of the great memory’s.

-john

Camden
03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Sorry to lose you to the great hobby :( hope you keep in touch and share your wisdom. Looking forward to seeing your inventory, I'm sure you have some great stuff!

Ed13
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
It's a shame, the hobby losses one of the good guys!
But I'm also happy that there are people like you around in this hobby, You evaluated your scenario truthfully. It may hurt but, in the end, if you can't do things the right way then you shouldn't do them at all!
I salute you and hope that you can still find a way to be close to us and close to the fish you placed a lot of effort into!

PS: You really are going to quit cold turky? C'mon at least one 55g!:D

April
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
wow john...i cant believe it. youve been around ever since me..and most likely before me. as a matter of fact..i just came across you in that pretty little blue number the other day on my hard drive. : ) well i hope you do come to the aca. i might even get there. well..wish i was closer..id go for a few of your fish.
dont be a stranger..you can still give your insight in discus university.

Alight
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Nice to have met you here, in Utah John. I certainly understand why you're taking down the fishroom (I know I couldn't keep that up and do anything else I'd like to do), but, somehow, I can't imagine you without at least a tank in your Living Room filled with spectacular discus, and a breeding tank in the backroom somewhere to keep your stock going!

Al Light

brewmaster15
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Dang it John,
Not you too!:( Just when we finally had all the old baggage put away too!

Seems Like I have known you for years and across many forums..oh yeah I have.:) Life has a way of getting busy...I hope someday it slows down and you pick up where you left off..

For what its worth..I've enjoyed knowing you and am glad we got to be friends. Stay in touch and don't be a stranger.

take care,
al

ps.. Thanks for stepping up to the plate with the university here when no one else would touch it with a 10 foot pole..and helped get it started.:)

pcsb23
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
John, it has been a pleasure working with you. I hope that whatever you choose to do brings you peace and happiness. Thanks for giving me a different perspective on a few things!

The very best to you.

oodi
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
John,

You better not become a stranger around here! You have too much to offer to do that!!!

We look forward to seeing you at the ACA... since we're only about 80 miles away, I guess we have no excuses this year, huh? :p

Take care, and stay in touch!

Judi
:)

Discus_KC
03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
John,

The nets will miss you !!!!!! So will the forums!!!

Jack

P.S. I will be in Texas on vacation in a few weeks. I'll be getting in touch with you.

Tad
03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow!!!!
The hobby is losing one of its nicest gentleman....and hopefully only for well deserved but short hiatus ;) John has been a driving force on the National scene with his multi level participation in the ACA, on the local scene with the fish clubs in Texas, and on the discus forums sharing his knowledge and expertise!..his genorosity and willingness to take time to help all will be missed. John please make it a point to hook up with Judi and I in Sacramento this summer, Dinners on YOU :p

Best of luck in whatever you do and dont sell off all the tanks cuz we all know the fever does return,

with the higest regards,
Tad

PS: I wished April didn't bring up that little blue number...not a pretty picture of a hog hunter http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

yogi
03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
John, I'll miss seeing you around. We actually turned into friends after the good old days of arguing about JQ. If your daughter is still doing fish she will be happy to see those discus out of her way. take care,

Organic Farmer
03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Bummer Good luck in what ever you do Thanks for all the posts over the years

korbi_doc
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry: Gosh John, never thought you'd leave us, I'm gonna missya...do stick around some willya? Hope I see you in July at least!! Dottie :sad::sad:

Rod
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM
What a shame John....the discus looses a good friend today. Been a pleasure knowing you mate and lots of luck with whatever else takes your fancy.

btw John, you do have the best legs in the discus scene, male or female....lol. I don't think anyone will beat that blue number you wore.

FischAutoTechGarten
03-08-2007, 03:25 AM
understand exactly what you mean John. however, I'll say this...as soon as I get the last half of my landscaping/lawncare business sold back in New York...I'm going to get a tank of Discus and Rams down here in Mexico (i'll have to buy from up in Tucson/Phoenix/SanteFe/Flagstaff of course).

the hobby can be demanding and the joy is gone when we're just barely keeping the critters alive (or worse...not keeping them alive...been there).

I've entered and exited the hobby 3 times now. each time with near 10 years between them. however, eventually I get to a point where I find time and space to keep them around for a couple years again.

AmberC
03-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Aww Its too bad it came down to this, but we do what we have to do. I wish you luck!

steve.ryall
03-08-2007, 09:25 AM
It will be a shame to loose you John, good luck with whatever you find to fill the gap.

Steve

Kindredspirit
03-08-2007, 09:44 AM
It is what it is John ~ you taught me a few things:) I might run into you here in Sac in approx. four months:)

The best is yet to come.....you have fun with that!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

John_Nicholson
03-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks everyone. It is the friends that we make on this trip though life that makes the difference......

I was telling Al that I have always spend a lot of time with my kids but since my Mom died I have tried to spend even more time with them. They have really gotten into horse and is something that we can all do together.

I'll still be around some...I'll just be fishless......

-john

LizStreithorst
03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
But John, You are 3rd on the list for Albino Blue Diamond fry! First Kenny, then me, then you. Hell, it will be a year or more before I have any. Take some time off, but keep a few tanks around, please?

April
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM
horse..fish...same thing..bit hairier..instead of their hard rays hurting you..its their hooves or teeth. they still smell..still take alot of cleaning..still gotta cull if they get hurt..
i say stick to fish. you could have a nice tank to look at when you get down off that horse.... ok well giddyup...and dont forget your buds. your girls must be getting pretty old and big by now. well your a good dad anyhow.

John_Nicholson
03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks Liz and April.

April you got to remember that I was raised by a horse trader. They will always be part of my life I guess.

The kids range from 6 to 19....I never did know when to quit.....

-john

Elcid
03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey John:

Ur quitting? No! Good luck and thanks!

take care,
Sandeep

Elaine_Bryant
03-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I remember you from the Jim Quarles days, it was good to see you still here after I was away for about 5 years. You will be missed. Elaine

Discus_KC
03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
John,

Do you have one more dress in ya ??? Now that will bring back a few nightmares for us !!!:vomit: :vomit:

This is the true sad part of the hobby. I truly enjoy the road trips I've made and the great folks I've met. But many folks are out of the hobby now.

Jack

roclement
03-08-2007, 07:52 PM
John,

Best of luck to you, see you back soon!

Rod

ShinShin
03-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Say it isn't so, John. That'll make me the last of the JQ hitman squad. ;)

I like how and why you are going out though - the right way. If you can't do it right, you won't do it at all. That's better than making the discus conform to and endure what you are able to do for them instead of what they need.

It has been many years and many forums. See you in Sacramento one last time.

Mat

Ardan
03-09-2007, 07:12 AM
John,
The discus and the discus world will miss "one of the good ones".

Best wishes to you and your family

Ardan

Camden
03-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks Liz and April.

April you got to remember that I was raised by a horse trader. They will always be part of my life I guess.

Do what I do work in stables and keep fish as a hobby :bounce: :D
Best of both worlds! Again good luck to you!

John_Nicholson
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks again everyone. Here are some pics to remember my decision by....

-john

Lance_Krueger
03-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Please John, say it ain't so....
I'm truly saddened by this. I know it's the best thing for you right now, but sad for me.
Man, don't tell me you're getting rid of the dogs, and the hog hunting too?!? We've still got to go catch us a hog some time. If I can ever get myself up your way, we definitely have to get together. We have too many common interests: deer hunting, bass fishing, hog hunting, discus, and a bunch of daughters! Get those daughters raised up, married off, and then get back into discus when you pay all the weddings off! :-)
I've always thought of you as a true Texas Gentleman, and someone I look up to. From one Texan to another, all the best to you and your future endeavors, horses or otherwise. :-)
Lance Krueger

John_Nicholson
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks Lance. A friend of mine is picking up 3 dogs this next week. That will have me down to only about 6, but when it is time to go hunting I can always find us someone to go with.

-john

LizStreithorst
03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh no! Don't tell me the dogs are going, too!

alpine
03-13-2007, 06:30 PM
John. I just saw this posting for the first time. I can not believe it. John , there is room in life for many things, kids, dogs , hunting , DISCUS ... you just need to organize and get things straight. it would be too Great of a Loss to see you go from the hobby.
Don't forget the great help you can be for NADA.

roberto.

swinters66
03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Best of luck to you John. Dont know you, but want to wish you well regardless.

Beautiful horse...lots of hard work....have a blast!

John_Nicholson
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I am afraid that I will probably have to change my plans concerning the ACA. My brother was in New York City on a business trip and collapsed. Turns out he had viral meningitis. While treating him for that they managed to shut down his kidneys. While he is going to be fine I had to fly up and get him last week. The 3 days of vacation I used were the days that I had earmarked for the ACA. I hate to miss this years show. There are several people in CA that I wanted to meet, some because I really like them and some because I really, really don’t like them, but I guess all of that will have to wait until another day.

Ya’ll have fun without me.

-john

April
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
sorry to hear about your brother john. hope he will be ok.
i was even gonna try make the aca..too bad you cant go. well hope you still go next year..with or without fish.
your a good brother anyhow.

pcsb23
04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
John, sorry to hear your brother has been unwell but glad he'll be ok. I had hoped to read that you had a change of heart, but no...

Take care and good fortune in whatever you end up doing. I'm pretty sure SD will still be here when youa re ready to return, discus get in the blood!

All the best,

alxjss
04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi John,

We don't no each other but from what i have read and seen, I missed out. U are a good person to do what u r doing. Don't regret it. At least u have this in ur memory. And, like a few said, maybe when u have more time. U'r memories w/ur children are precious. I don't no to what extent.... hummmm, children/discus, what weighs out?:D

brewmaster15
04-16-2007, 07:35 PM
John,
Sorry to hear about your Brother, but I am glad that he will be okay. Thats really whats most important here....Its a bummer on the ACA plans...but as always...Family first.

Take care,
al

Ardan
04-16-2007, 09:22 PM
John, I will keep your brother in prayers

Ardan

oodi
04-17-2007, 10:17 AM
John,

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll still be able to make it this year. But if not, I know you'll be there in spirit!

Judi

Tad
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
John,
Prayers for your brother to recover fully and well!

Regards,
Tad