PDA

View Full Version : rubbermaid trash can for water storage?

moneyLaw
03-07-2007, 04:45 PM
I just bought a new 45 gallon rubbermaid trash can for water storage. I know some of you guys use rubbermaid trash can for water storage, wondering whether there is any particular kind I should get and I am not sure whether the plastic contains any chemical that might dissolve into the water or not. And do you guys use bleach to clean it the first time? I prefer not to use any chemical at all while cleaning, but wondering what you guys do. Thanks in advance.

brewmaster15
03-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I use the heavy duty grey ones for ROwater and tap water..not had any problems with them.... I cleaned them the first time with bleach, but can't tell you why in retrospect as they were new.

-al

Squiggy
03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
The rubbermade Brute seems to be the most popular. They are really heavy duty and there is a dolly available for them. I use the 44 gallon myself...

Joe

FishLover888
03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
The rubbermade Brute seems to be the most popular. They are really heavy duty and there is a dolly available for them.

I don't think anyone will try to move the 44g filled with water using a dolly:)

I have a 44g of Brute too. Forget about the dolly.

I just cleaned mine with tap water. Nothing else.

Squiggy
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I wheel mine through the house every day...:D On oak floors, no less. The wheels are great. No scuffs or scrapes or spillage.

Joe

moneyLaw
03-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I use the heavy duty grey ones for ROwater and tap water..not had any problems with them.... I cleaned them the first time with bleach, but can't tell you why in retrospect as they were new.

-al

Thanks Al. Mine is new too. I am just afraid that if I use bleach, I might not clean it enough with water after using bleach to get rid of bleach.

The rubbermade Brute seems to be the most popular. They are really heavy duty and there is a dolly available for them. I use the 44 gallon myself...

Joe

Thanks Joe. Do you remember how you cleaned it the first time before using it.

I don't think anyone will try to move the 44g filled with water using a dolly:)

I have a 44g of Brute too. Forget about the dolly.

I just cleaned mine with tap water. Nothing else.

Thanks for the reply, fishlover.

Squiggy
03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I cleaned mine with tap...just to get rid of any residue that might be on it.

sleonard
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't be afraid of using bleach, it rinses out easily and thoroughly. I use bleach to clean all my buckets and my Rubbermaid. Just spray all the surfaces really well and you're good to go.

Scott