PDA

View Full Version : What type of water do you use?

jfoster38122
03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I have been reading and see most folks do alot of water changes on their tanks.
I have an RO/DI unit that I use for my reef tank now. I don't think I would have the time to be able to keep up with all those water changes unless I used tap water. What do you all use to do the water changes? I have a TDS meter and it registers around 30 straight from the tap.

Jerry

April
03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
best thing you can do is use regular tap with a bit of cholorine and chloramines remover. maybe if anything stored overnight. discus can handle harder water..as long as its consistant. if you were to breed youd most likely need to use your ro for eggs to be fertile. there are some people on simply who use water thats ph 8 or higher.

Camden
03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
As long as your tap water doesn't have a high flux in Ph after its sat for awhile you should be alright in using it. I use Tap with Cholorine remover and I add vitamins to the water.

poconogal
03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I use tap water and have used tap water for 14 years. I've got 3 spawning pairs and I get wigglers that become snacks... oh well. In the winter, since I'm on a private well, my PH is 8.4 out of the tap, but I have soft water with KH and GH of 4, with PH of 8.1 in my tank. In the summer, it drops down to about 7.8, so my tank PH is also seasonal. If your PH rises up after 24 hours you can always age your tap water in a water barrel for 24 hours with good aeration then use a pump to do your WC.

chrisf
03-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I use tap water heated to room temp and with some Seachem Prime. It sits for a coupoe of hours against a radiator to get to room temp. Nothing else is added. My PH is 7.4 I never measure for hardness but I do monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
My aim is water stability not trying to achive levels which would take all my time up.

I like to keep and look after fish not become a chemist..:)

chris