PDA

View Full Version : Red turquoise discus

youngdiscus
03-12-2007, 03:13 AM
Hello.
this is my first post on simply, thought i would introduce myself. my name is chris, i currently have 12 discus which are housed in a 180gallons. i havent been keeping discus that long(6months) but am really interested in these fish and would like too someday breed them succesfully...

when first starting, I purchused some discus labeled as red Turq's.... Just recently i have bought the book..."degen book of discus"... In the book,degen states that the red Turq variety is not often bred, and most discus labeled as red turq's are just a marketing scam, and are usually plain brown discus.

How can you tell a purebreed Red Turq, from a fake?
Thanks

Deepak
03-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Hi, Welcome to Simply :) Got any pics of your fish ?

wolfbane
03-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Hmm, seems to me that there are plenty of red turqs out there, check out pictures on this site! They are colorful and hardy.

Ryan
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Red Turquoise discus are one of the most common strains you can get. When was the book printed?

April
03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
thats a very old book. rt is most likely the easiest fish to aquire. however..there are alot of patterns in the striations these days. you used to see alot with straight lines through their body. now..you get alot of squiggly lines..checkered..rt..vertical..tiger stripe..etc etc etc. they also vary alot between how much blue and red shows . you cant go wrong with a rt though. nice fish. alot of the fish who dont become leopards etc..are rt or..snakeskins.