PDA

View Full Version : First Post on SD!!

bsh
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Hello all! This is my first post on SD and would like to just introduce myself. I have been lurking in the background just trying to re-familiar myself with keeping discus as it has changed since I was last involved about 15 years ago. I have raised Discus and angelfish and have had success breeding both. Getting back into Discus i have just purchased a 75 gallon tank as my grow out tank with an aqua clear 70 and 2 double sponge filters. I live very close to Bob at Upper Canada Discus and am looking forward to having the chance of purchasing some quality fish from him. My first question…..India Almond Leaves – I have heard people using these to lower the ph of the tap water. How effective is this and where can they be purchased? I also read an article that they also help with the health of the fish almost like a constant natural medication. Any information and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and again Hi!

Brad Hudson - Barrie Ontario Canada

Darren's Discus
03-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi Brad,
welcome along to simply,I wish i lived that close to Bob all his red covers would be mine ! enjoy.

cheers

AADiscus
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Welcome to Simply.

Tropical Haven
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Welcome to the site. :D

brewmaster15
03-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Brad!
Welcome to SimplyDiscus.com!:) You are lucky to be so close to Bob, I'd definetly pay him a visit!:)

On your question... Those leaves are reported to do many things..from cure illness to stimulate spawning...Not sure how much is due to the leaves and how much is due to the tannins in the leaves. These tannins are found in many plants and lower pH, biologically impair bacteria, and are a natural component of the waters Discus evolved in. I have not used the leaves but I would not be surprised if they did have some benefit,,,I'd be surprised if it was the cure-all though that they are supposed to be...

My advice.. Start off with your good clean water and healthy stock from Bob, feed them well, and consider an RO water unit if your water needs to be adjusted ...I'm Sure Bob can advise you well if you contact him.

Best of luck here and welcome back to the hobby!:)

-al