PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question ~

Kindredspirit
03-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey Guys ~ is there a way to access your desktop from another computer? When I am at work, I once needed something on my desktop....

Impossible huh?

Thanks ~

Marie ~ :balloon:

bsh
03-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, There is, it is called log me in.... You can download it for free and it works great and its always free unless you want to do file transfers then you need the paid one! I use it to access my work and vise versa.

www.logmein.com

Brad Hudson

greyhoundfan
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
what OS are you running on your computers? You might be able to use Windows Netmeeting. It should be available to you if your running XP or higher.

Marie, what ever you do, I really don't think this is a good idea. That means you have to leave your home PC on AND connected to the net while you are at work. Not really a safe thing to do. It's kind of bending over like Kevin Bacon in Animal House.. "Thank you Sir!!.. May I have another one!"

Deepak
03-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Which OS are you using ?

Kindredspirit
03-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Yes, There is, it is called log me in.... You can download it for free and it works great and its always free unless you want to do file transfers then you need the paid one! I use it to access my work and vise versa.

www.logmein.com

Brad Hudson

So Brad....if I took a file/folder/whatever off my desktop would that be considered a file transfer? Sounds like some of those free software virus scans..."free download"......but if we find something ~ pl pay!" lol! But at least this can be done....I would have never thought in a million years! Must I leave my computer on at home all day in order to pull this off?

Thanks!:)

what OS are you running on your computers? You might be able to use Windows Netmeeting. It should be available to you if your running XP or higher.

Marie, what ever you do, I really don't think this is a good idea. That means you have to leave your home PC on AND connected to the net while you are at work. Not really a safe thing to do. It's kind of bending over like Kevin Bacon in Animal House.. "Thank you Sir!!.. May I have another one!"

Hey Reid ~ I have XP...never heard of Windows Netmeeting tho ~ Well in re to my computer being on and connected to the net....I have Comcast so are I not always connected to the net even if I am not logged on?....."are I not?".......is I not? hmm.....I am tired...both sound bad!!

AM I not!! That is it! WoW~

Which OS are you using ?

Deep I have XP......:)

Deepak
03-14-2007, 03:32 AM
You can use Proxy 4.11 for XP or Netmeeting :)

traco
03-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Same question as Marie, Reid. I leave my computer on and have Simply open all the time. I just click "new posts" when I come back in the office to see if there any new threads, etc... This is bad to do? I should be closing forums when I'm not on?

wolfbane
03-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I have a router between my computer and the internet, with its own firewall, and I have ZoneAlarm firewall. I leave my PC on all the time, have a cable connection, so its always connected. No problem. but, I have never tried to d/l files from my computer via another. It would seem one would have to use a secure password, or bring down the firewall or something.
Speaking from ignorance I guess.

greyhoundfan
03-14-2007, 12:29 PM
If your internet connection is behind a router like Debbie than you should be safe because of the built in firewall.

I leave my computer on but when I'm done with it I turn off the modem and router. I flip my light switch and everything turns out automatically and it isn't a problem reconnecting.

Marie and Traco, I didn't mean to worry you folks.. sorry.:D

But I do think it is an unnecessry risk to leave your computer on and connected all the time when it's not in use. The PC to PC connection is encrypted so it shouldn't be a problem.

Marie since you have windows WP, you can run net conference on your computer. Wish I could walk you through all the prompts but I don't use it that often. If you go to Start>Run> type in Netconf this will prompt your compouter to install it.

Everything we do and use is usually safe, there are just a lot of smart people out there that know how to by-pass these safe guards.

t_j
03-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Everything we do and use is usually safe, there are just a lot of smart people out there that know how to by-pass these safe guards.

Simply nowing this a little too well:(

traco
03-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Reid, thanks for the info. I do have a router and firewall which sounds like I have some defense. But still good practice to log out, etc...

Kindredspirit
03-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Marie and Traco, I didn't mean to worry you folks.. sorry.:D

I was not worried:) My computer is on all day and I have always done that except when I work my long days and I leave at 9am and back at 11:30pm....I turn it off before I leave ~

....a router huh?.......hmm.....I have a Comcast Home Networking Wireless black box I am looking at right now...router? We have high speed internet from Comcast......so ~

Thanks Reid for all the info! Appreciate it much:D