PDA

View Full Version : Albinos

AmberC
03-14-2007, 09:06 AM
In the bird world, and albino is called a Lutino but its the same thing. Generally, lutino birds have poor eye sight or develope eye problems later in life, sometimes even going blind.

In watching my golden albino's from Kenny, sometimes I wonder if perhaps they have vision problems because of the red pupils. (Not the outer ring.. the pupil.) I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 they will go after one piece of food 4-5 times before getting it.

That being said tho, my golden albino's are the biggest pigs in my tanks!!! They are first in line for food and from my first batch of fish, the GA is now the biggest one! I have seen the most growth from that one out of the bunch. So I am in no way concerned that this will affect their health, at least right now. I was just curious if anyone else noticed vision problems with albinos.

Amber

Ryan
03-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately people seem to notice vision problems with a lot of young discus, not just albinos. My pigeons all had trouble hitting food as juveniles and even now as adults some have to try a few times to pick bloodworms or shrimp out of open water. They seem to have an easier time eating them off the bottom. I think it may have a lot to do with all the selective and/or inbreeding.

Some albino fish have weaker fry. I noticed that albino angel fry required a little more care than typical angel fry. They seemed to be blind (or close to it) when they were first hatched. I had to squirt brine shrimp right on top of them in order for the fry to find food. I can't say the same for my kribs, though; the albinos outgrew their regularly pigmented brothers and sisters.

Spid
03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
In the bird world, and albino is called a Lutino but its the same thing. Generally, lutino birds have poor eye sight or develope eye problems later in life, sometimes even going blind.

In watching my golden albino's from Kenny, sometimes I wonder if perhaps they have vision problems because of the red pupils. (Not the outer ring.. the pupil.) I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 they will go after one piece of food 4-5 times before getting it.

That being said tho, my golden albino's are the biggest pigs in my tanks!!! They are first in line for food and from my first batch of fish, the GA is now the biggest one! I have seen the most growth from that one out of the bunch. So I am in no way concerned that this will affect their health, at least right now. I was just curious if anyone else noticed vision problems with albinos.

Amber

Hi Amber,

nice of you to have brought this up. Yes albinos do have a bit of eye sight problem. However that will not deter their growth as much, just like that piece you have in your tank.

However what Im more interested in is the fact that the difference between pure albino and lutino. For oscars and guppies, there are albinos and lutinos.
I believe back in the world of discus, albinos and lutinos do exist too.

After various of albino crossings, Ive observed and collected 3 types of albinos. One is the so called RREA(real red eyed albino) type, one is the WREA(wine red eye albino) type and lastly the BEA (black eyed albino). Though its weird calling it BEA, but the fact is these albinos possess shiny black pupils. At one glance they look like a normal golden strain but at a closer look they do possess reflective pupils and with a photo shoot with flash they appear just like any albino discus. For those of RRE ones, they will never grow any bigger than 3inch. While for those of WRE. they do grow but their growth is not as fast as their black eyed counter parts.

So would like to ask if anyone here do encounter about these different type of albinos and whats your view towards these different types of albinos........

poconogal
03-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Amber... you know, I don't think its limited to albinos at all. One of my Rose Reds has a big problem catching food. She constantly strikes lower than the Tetra Bit, the flake, the worm, whatever it is. She usually cannot get it. I've started using feeding cones for FBW and CBW so that she can strike at the cone and still hit a "good" spot with food. Or else I just chuck the FBW cube into the water and she can grab onto it and bite a hunk off. Sometimes I call her (I point to her and to the spot I want her to go to, and she actually DOES go there and waits for me at the surface, it's amazing!!!) and then put food in just for her. Unfortunately, it has affected her growth some; the male Rose Red is now bigger, and they were the same size when I got them. My theory is that with breeding for the smaller eyes, some Discus' vision is being affected.

Rod
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't think its limited to albinos as well, its a genetic fault through careless breeding imo.

Interesting observations spid, thankyou for shareing that information :)

brewmaster15
03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I've noted vision problems in albino angels...I don't have much experience with albino discus...

I am curious though of those that have bred albino Discus..what is the behavior of the fry during the first few weeks and does anyone have pictures they can share.? I am wondering if theres attachment issues with the fry?

thanks,
al

Spid
03-15-2007, 01:34 AM
I've noted vision problems in albino angels...I don't have much experience with albino discus...

I am curious though of those that have bred albino Discus..what is the behavior of the fry during the first few weeks and does anyone have pictures they can share.? I am wondering if theres attachment issues with the fry?

thanks,
al

Hi al,

Attachment is the difficult part when comes to breeding albinos. For the first few days after free swimming, the albino fries which i presume has eye sight problem would loiter around the tank, going in all directions.

If the pair is unable to take care and command control over these fries, these albino babies will die due to lack of food.

Jon

Rod
03-15-2007, 03:07 AM
I am wondering if theres attachment issues with the fry?

thanks,
al

Hi Al, I havn't bred any albino discus fry yet, my experience so far has only been crossbreeding so all the fry are normal eyes. I have bred pure golden type with albino and both being light colored parents i was a little concerned about attachment issues but there was no need. the fry attached in a completely normal way. Another observation i made is there was no preference for either parent, they were as happy on the albino as they were on the golden.

Rod :)

LizStreithorst
03-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Hi Al, I havn't bred any albino discus fry yet, my experience so far has only been crossbreeding so all the fry are normal eyes. I have bred pure golden type with albino and both being light colored parents i was a little concerned about attachment issues but there was no need. the fry attached in a completely normal way. Another observation i made is there was no preference for either parent, they were as happy on the albino as they were on the golden.

Rod :)

It surprises me that the fry are attracted to both parents equally. I was told by Kenny that attachment could be tricky. I wonder if it could be the inherent weakness of some albinos that causes problems as much as the light color of the parents?