PDA

View Full Version : convict cichlids anyone? : )

April
03-14-2007, 09:03 PM
well..i traded some 13 year old kid some discus for some convict cichlids. brought them home in a bucket..threw them in a tank..got some longfinned rainbows to add to the top of the tank..and i had two blue acaras also from him. one they killed off in the bucket...so down to one acara. i didnt see the convicts much..guess they were shy of their new tank. finally..the male started coming out a bit...the last few days the acara was at the top. thought he got braver...and it was cause he was shy he was at the bottom and hiding at first. well..today..all of a sudden i looked..and tons of babies in a pile in a depression at the front of the tank. guess they chased the acara to the top. they mustve laid soon as they came..its only been about 10 days and they are swimming about.
so...who wants convicts? lol.

brewmaster15
03-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Convicts are worse than Guppies April....they'll be over running your tanks soon.:)...

-al

DarkDiscus
03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I like convicts. And there's always a market for them, even if they are worth like 25 cents each...

The scary thing is that they can breed at a very young age and very small size. I once had a pair of 1.5 inch convicts kill a foot long oscar "protecting" a batch of fry. The convicts were like 6 months old.

Kindredspirit
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Convicts are worse than Guppies April....they'll be over running your tanks soon.:)...

-al

Really? Wow ~ anyone got a pic? Sounds like they live up to their name!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_2.gif

Deepak
03-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Trade Discus for Convicts....thats CRAZY :laugh:

That reminds me...once upon a time I got some cute looking small convicts & introduced them to my Oscars. The little buggers not only got big but started to scare the s**t out of the O's. The O's were 5" & cons were barely 2.5"

During my fish keeping I've found out that O's are not as aggressive as people think they are. Some fish like Convicts, Jack Dempsey, Flowerhorn, etc. are far more aggressive than O's. Flowerhorn in particular are very agressive like convicts at a very young age & are capable of killing an Oscar twice their size :scared:

But trading Discus for Convicts....:smash:

April
03-16-2007, 02:18 AM
hmmm..ok whos the first taker...ill take one discus to 10 convicts...
brew...your gonna trade me right?
well for now..im having fun watching them.
so..you guys think it was a bad trade? lol. two discus about 4 inches for two convicts and two acaras? oh well..i was thinking of our best simply teenager discus keeper when i heard he was an avid 13 year old who wanted discus soooo bad. tyler..who did better with his discus than most adults. so figured what better hobby for a 13 year old.

Polar_Bear
03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
That was a very nice thing of you to do April! I put covicts in the same category as angels, too easy to breed and too aggresive for my liking. But each to his/her own I say. Sadly I do like like Acaras, even if they too are easy to breed, at least they aren't too aggresive and they are pretty.

dliles6254
03-16-2007, 04:16 PM

-al

I had convict's for a long time and I have to say that I had a lot of fun with them. Made a little money, my kids and I learned a lot and had some fun. I would do it all over and would still have them if I had room for another tank.

swinters66
03-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Ooh convicts....my hubby got a bucket of them from the lfs and was going to feed them to his SA cichlids. I freaked and told him NO...so we put them in our 55 gallon tank...next thing you know I have TONS of babies, and the gar we had in there were eating them...oops. So, we moved the gar....and the babies kept coming! That was a bad move on my part keeping them...they are like the rabbits of the fish world! The tank was a mess! They arent the cleanest fish either. I wouldnt have them again.