PDA

View Full Version : BN with red streak in dorsal fin

kaceyo
03-15-2007, 06:27 PM
This BN with the red streak was in a breeder tank that has 48hr old fry. I just noticed it so pulled him right out. The streak is along the top edge of the dorsal fin and I've found that it could be bacterial and called Hemorrhagic Septicemia or caused by Gyrodactylus parasites. Is it possible that it is actually damage caused by the discus parents while keeping him from the area their fry are in? More importantly, should I treat the discus tank with some F&MG or an antibiotic to keep them from picking it up? I've never seen this in any of my tanks before.

Kacey

pcsb23
03-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Kacey, I'm hoping its damage from protective discus parents!

If it is septicemia the BN will most likely become lethargic and get bloat/dropsy like symptoms. Normally I would expect to see the first signs in the caudal (tail) which make me think its physical damage.

I would watch teh discus very carefully fro these symtoms, a broad spectrum anti biotic will be needed if it is septicemia.

kaceyo
03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Paul,
I thought this one snuck by ya. Thankfully it was an injury and not an infection. The top ray was broke in two so I think they caught him sneeking around too close to the nursery.
Hopefully he'll continue to be a good breeder tank cleaner as I don't trust most of the other BN's I have to do the job.

Kacey