PDA

View Full Version : The sound of water hitting carpet!!

GrillMaster
03-15-2007, 10:46 PM
I was doin the WC tonight, an after filling the tank up with the aged water, the discus love me when they get the water changed, I start filling the barrel back up.

I am just sittin in a chair next to the tank watchin them. 4 of the 6 in my tank have been dancin for a couple of days. Its amazing to watch, the shimmying an shaking. I couldn't take my eyes off em. The next thing I hear is the sound of water hittin the carpet!! My tank is upstairs in the carpeted spare room.

The 15 feet from the bedroom to the bathroom seemed like 100 ft! Ran like mad an pulled out the bottom of the python pump so it would start suckin the water back out of the barrel, but I had a gallon at least all around the barrel after it was all said an done.

What a bonehead move! Guess one needs to pay a lil more attention to upstairs wc's!!

Man I need a basement!!! With drains....:D

tc
Mark

Tropical Haven
03-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Don't feel bad, I was filling a tank that was in my dinning room a decided to vaccum one of the rooms why the tank was filling. After I did that room I did the other two forgetting about my tank being filled and when I turned of the vaccum it sounded like a waterfall. I ran really fast to the water and turned it off and there had to be at least 20 gallon of water on the carpet.

FishLover888
03-16-2007, 09:47 AM
I had my water container inside the house and it started to leak after it was full. I had to pump it out fast. 44g of water in it and the pump and the leak was competing to get the water first. That was not fun.

I now have the water container outside the house. Luckly, I only have 1 big tank and I mark where the 44g of water needs to be on the tank. Once I drain the tank water to the mark, I start the pump. It will never overflow because the container only has 44g of water in it.

steve.ryall
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Maybe I shouldn't say, but one of our Admin here had a little overflow problem just before I paid him a visit a little while ago......Oops. :D :D

brewmaster15
03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Multi-tasking gets me everytime...I have over flowed more tanks than I care to remember both upstairs and down...usually its when I am typing a post here and filling a few tanks.:mad:

It happens quite often:D

-al

brewmaster15
03-16-2007, 10:20 AM
But come to think about it...I'd rather flood the floor than flat bottom the fish by overdraining a tank!:)

water Dries....fish without water...dies.:D

-al

Kindredspirit
03-16-2007, 10:26 AM
We all have been there done that, Mark! Wasn't it Jim that was filling his tank and forgot about it and LEFT the house? And this tank was on the third floor.....?

I can not remember who it was but...I would not want to be this person when I got home!

Squiggy
03-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Lowes....sku # 40066 21000....Wayne Sump Alarm....$10 (requires 9 volt battery not included)..... ;)

Joe

GrillMaster
03-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Lowes....sku # 40066 21000....Wayne Sump Alarm....$10 (requires 9 volt battery not included)..... ;)

Joe

Great idea! This is just a must have for me. :)

I wasn't going to admit it, but that was the second night in a row...:o

My wife is startin to wonder where all the towels are goin!!

tc
Mark

mmorris
03-16-2007, 03:11 PM
And we wonder why landlords are hesitant to rent to people with large tanks! Are they afraid the floor will collapse? No. Are they afraid the tank will break? No. It seems they know us too well. :D Martha

steve.ryall
03-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey Al, I wasn't meaning you buddy...lol over this side ofthe pond, if you know what I mean lol

Steve

RobMc
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I found a little plastic automatic shut-off timer for my filling hose. Its by a company named MELNOR and it was sold in the outdoor section of some hardware. I think it is intended to shut off your hose when you are watering the lawn! When filling my aging barrel from the faucet I simply set the timer and it will shut the water off when it stops ticking. Its a cheap wind-up timer to be sure, but with a little testing you can get it to stop the water before it hits the floor! I don't want to think how many gallons I've shop-vacced out of the carpet before I found it.

Rob

Darren's Discus
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
But come to think about it...I'd rather flood the floor than flat bottom the fish by overdraining a tank!:)

water Dries....fish without water...dies.:D

-al
How true Al, I remember about 20 years ago i bought 30 silver sharks put them in a 4ft to grow up was draining the tank got called away for something forgot about them,went back a couple of hours later walked in and there tank was always crystal clear it did'nt even hit me at first i thought what are all those sharks lying on the bottom for? OH yeah hard to swim without water another costly lesson.

Mark can you connect an overflow pipe to your water container saves splillage !

cheers

LizStreithorst
03-16-2007, 10:28 PM
My favorite threads are about floods. I've seen pics (on DAAH, maybe) of basements under water with fish boxes floating around. If that had happened to me, I wouldn't have had the presents of mind to run for the camera.

I've had a few good ones. One buckeled my toungue and groove wood floor.

alpine
03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I am kind of a newby ...but I sure know that SOUND ...it has happened to me two or three times in my nicely carpeted fish room..I guess is going to happen again :(

roberto.

GrillMaster
03-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Mark can you connect an overflow pipe to your water container saves splillage !

cheers

Thats something to look into also darren.:)

I need a 55G barrel. All I have at the moment is a 36G trash can. I fill it up to about an inch from the top. Its the inch after that I am havin problems with...

tc
Mark

alpine
09-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I think I found the cure for the waterfall sounds in my fishroom....I ordered this from ebay . Joe, I went to Lowes and they had no idea of the product you mentioned..maybe different states carry different items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-Level-Alarm-for-Fish-Tank-With-Light-Function_W0QQitemZ220149107161QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2 0754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

roberto.

Don Trinko
09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I have upstairs storage and a down stairs tank so I close the valve on the filling hose, lower the hose down the stairs and then turn the pump on.... Well most of the time I close the valve! Don T.

Greg Richardson
09-16-2007, 04:29 PM
If any of you find an alarm that you can control the sound please post it.

bgbdwlf2500
09-16-2007, 04:45 PM
i always spill a little doing water changes, the most that got dumped on the floor was when the protein skimmer on a salt tank came out of adjustment and it started filling the collection cup with water and not bubbles. probably 3 or 4 gallons but still a huge mess

Don Trinko
09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Lowes has an alarm for $13. It makes a high pitched sound and is run by a 9v battery. The sensor is removable and has 6' of wire. I made a U shaped piece from 1/2" pvc. It hangs over the edge of the tank and the alarm goes off when the water level gets near the top. Don T.

alpine
09-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Don, I went to my Lowes here and they did not know of anyhting like it . Joe here in the forum mentioned that gadget a while back. I think different regions have only certain items in stock.

roberto.

Don Trinko
09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
It is called "The Watchdog Water Alarm" Model BWD-HWA. It is made by Glentronics inc. Lincolnshire IL 60069. They had dozens of them at our Lowes but that was before Findlay had the flood!

Don T.