PDA

View Full Version : Ask not what Simply can do for you....

brewmaster15
03-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Ask not what Simply can do for you.... but what you can do for SimplyDiscus.com..:)

Hi all,
We need help badly in the University. I really want to add some judges there that can share their experience, the more , the better as its less work for all. So if you have several years experience and can tell a bad discus from a good one and explain why it such a discus , please consider helping us help others.. I really am proud of what the University has accomplished and believe we can do more, but Its going take all of us to move this understanding of quality in discus forward. So please, please , please consider helping out..Its a really good chance to help others here and the hobby.

Okay and one other thing...If I ever helped you, I'm calling in my debts...I need help.:DJk...no pressure but please do help if you have experience and can.

Additionally,
I've been pretty open and honest about what goes into bringing this forum to everyone both financially and time wise...I have a favor to ask and it won't cost you a dime... When you buy fish or supplies... Consider our sponsors first..they are good people and do their best to take care of this forums membership and help the site. If you do buy from others though, tell these sellers and suppliers about our forum, encourage them to consider supporting it and advertising here...and if for some reason you don't like the forum and prefer other forums, thats fine too.....I'd suggest you do the same for that forum..Help your communities anyway you can.

okay,
Last note... I have a pet project or two that I need help on...I'm looking for a volunteer(s) to do some serious write ups for the forum.It entails reporting and photo compilation. Compensation unfortunately is limited to our thanks.:(

Guess that sums it up for now, theres plenty of other areas we need help in, but I'll save that begging for another time and thread.

Thanks all,
al

GrillMaster
03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Last note... I have a pet project or two that I need help on...I'm looking for a volunteer(s) to do some serious write ups for the forum.It entails reporting and photo compilation. Compensation unfortunately is limited to our thanks.

What kind of write ups are you looking to do Al? I am new to Discus keeping, but I will give you any help you can get out of me!! :)

tc
Mark

t_j
03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I see Joe is now a helper for the University Congrats Joe!!!!

Kindredspirit
03-16-2007, 02:41 PM
What kind of write ups are you looking to do Al? I am new to Discus keeping, but I will give you any help you can get out of me!! :)

tc
Mark

Count me in:)

mmorris
03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I can write and/or edit, Al. You won't see me in Discus U., though. I thought the Singapore Grand Champion was a cull!:o Note, folks, that Al breezed pretty quickly past the financial bit but I am sure expenses weight as heavily as always. Aren't many of us about due for another donation? :heart2: Martha

FishLover888
03-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Support Simply by going to the sponsors, that's what I did/do and I have to say my experience is very good so far in terms of the quality and services. You can't go wrong on that. Since you are going to spend the money anyway, why not spend it here with the sponsors and get the good quality and services too? You will find out people here mostly have much higher standards in quality and services than your average on line stores or your LFS.

Just an idea. If we can ask the sonosors to have a sticky on their threads to tell us what they sell, it will be easy for us to locate things we want to buy.

Donation will help too.
JMO

bsh
03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Al,

I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can. I did make a donation, a rather small one right now and will help out as my paypal account grows a bit more. I am very good at photoshop, html, flash and I can usually figure out most computer related things pretty quick. Any help just send me an e-mail!!

Brad Hudson

brewmaster15
03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone!:)

Ps...Brad, sent you a PM

and fishlover..
Just an idea. If we can ask the sonosors to have a sticky on their threads to tell us what they sell, it will be easy for us to locate things we want to buy. Its a good idea...Discusdave recently added a masterlist to his section....One of my pet projects should help also.:)

White Worm
03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
If you have something specific I could help with, let me know. I'm not what you would consider highly experienced as far as years but I am a fan of research and I know more than I have experienced if you know what I mean.

pinkertd
03-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi Al,
I'm new here and I'd like to help too! I'm new to discus (only 1 year), community & cichlid tanks for years before that. And I'm an executive admin by day:computer: so......I can write/organize/type/edit pretty well! Anything I can help with, don't be shy....just ask!

ShinShin
03-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Al,

I really don't know what more can be done in the University than what is being done now. More judges is not the problem (not that I object to that, but too many can be too many. I like the addition of Squiggy). An established protocal needs to be established and adhered to by those entering fish. It has been repeated over and over that juvenile fish ought not be shown, as well as more than one fish per post. We do now have the standard form, which I like, however, take SL - replies like about, or I think , just don't cut it. There is a big difference between a 6" SL and a 6" total lenght when deciding how good a fish is (as you know). I simply ignore the juvenile pics unless it is really bad or really looks like an outstanding discus.

Mat

brewmaster15
03-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I hear you Mat, and I agree, particularly on the addition of Joe..:) but I do think we need a bigger pool of judges... as we are running pretty low on active ones..... Johns moved on, Willie is very involved in NADA and many of our others are currently not too active...that leaves you, Paul, and now Joe. At times theres going to be less active judges and other times more..so we need a bit of a cushion..I'd like 10 total...for no particular reason but that we'll have a good chance of having 3-5 active at any given time.One opinion is just that, several opinions is often a consensus at best or a discussion at worst and thats a much stronger statement of the fish being rated.

As for the Juvies being submitted... I Think we have to just post when the fish is too young to rate.....After a while it'll be understood that we just can't fairly judge these fish. Its something to think of here though... There is a large amount of interest in the juvies as people want to know what their potential is.. To meet that need I am thinking of breaking a subforum out of the university where juvies can be posted and discussed by everyone....thats something that we need to talk about further... I see it as something that would be far more casual then a rating.

hth,
al

LizStreithorst
03-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Brew, I plan on becoming a sponsor by late April or early May. You know what the situations is here. I appreciate your help as I have said.

As far as judging, I have posted only one critique. I don't feel comfortable doing it unless I am quite sure of myself. It's way easier when the fish is really good or really bad. It's way more difficult with mediocre fish. Actually, I would LOVE to judge. I just feel that I don't have the degree of expertise that many of the other University members have.

brewmaster15
03-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Liz,

When you are ready to be a sponsor...we'd be glad to have you! and as for the university... we still need to get that chat going:)

-al

ShinShin
03-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Al,

Good point. Alot of judges on board, but not many participating. I have logged off NADA with intentions of not renewing my membership this year at the ACA, so this will be my sole discus forum, giving me more time here. I have become very disenchanted with NADA. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that Oliver Lucanis and Andrew Soh will be at the ACA Convention this year, I'd skip that as well.

Mat