PDA

View Full Version : What Pleco to go with my Discus?

dliles6254
03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm looking for a pleco, I just don't know which one. What do you think?

Elite Aquaria
03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Personally I only use Albino Bristle nose plecos.

Dan

swinters66
03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a clown pleco...then found out they are basically like bottom feeders...he'll come out and eat some leftover beefheart. I put a bristle nose pleco a few weeks later...both are doing good, they dont bother the discus and the discus dont bother them. Go with the bristle nose.

mench
03-17-2007, 10:31 AM
For sure go with the Bristle nose..I raise them and they don't bother the discus at all,and they keep the tank super clean.
Get ahold of Jack Taylor at Discus K.C. in St louis MO.e has some breeders that he got from me.So I think he has some for sale.

Mench

dliles6254
03-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info, I will call jack about it. I have got all of my discus from jack, but did not know he had any pleco's

jpfelix
03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
pitbull pleco's also do well.

Ed13
03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Gold nuggets and other baryancistrus spec, Royals and other panaques, most ancistrus spec, hypancistrus spec.

The goldy, sunshine or L-14 (I put the Gold nugget in this category also) is said to be the best suited for discus tanks, loves and does well with meat and high temps. Onnly problem is it reaches 14 inches and is a bulky and bully type plec

Elaine_Bryant
03-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Does the gold nugget really get that big? I bought one thats just about 2 inches, really shy. BUT someone, either the otos, rubberlips or him.......is feasting on my swordplants at night. Who would it be? Elaine

Ed13
03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Does the gold nugget really get that big? I bought one thats just about 2 inches, really shy. BUT someone, either the otos, rubberlips or him.......is feasting on my swordplants at night. Who would it be? Elaine
Except for L-177(which rarely passes the 8 inch mark) gold nuggets can reach 11-12 inches or more, even 14" or more is feasible, although unlikely in home aquaria that they will surpass the 10" mark and even at that they are SLOW growers. Keep in mind that Gold nugget(L-177, L-18,L-81,L-85) doesn't equal Goldy(L-14)
And I'm pretty sure that the Gold nugget is the one eating the swords as this has been the plant most often reported by owners of GN that have developed a taste for plants. See if adding vegetable manner in the form of algae discs, cucumbers, lettuce leaves, zuchini etc. helps
BTw, assuming this is a discus tank the rubberlips are out of place.

Ramon Anastacio
03-22-2007, 09:16 PM
While Bristlenose plecos may be ideal tankmates for Discus, I have grown to really like L200 Green Plecos. They are very hardy, active and quite easy to care for. They'll eat almost anything, including plants. Certainly a nice, colorful addition to a Discus tank.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/ranastacio/HW5R1906.jpg

Paula B
03-23-2007, 10:02 AM
For about 2 years I kept a L200 in my planted tank. Never ate a single plant. He was great, but was always quite skittish. Kinda like my discus!

chuckbam
03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I like the common Florida Canal plecos. They seem to keep my tanks cleaner than any other I have had. Sometimes they start to suck the sides of the larger fish. I take the Pleco out for a while and later put it back in. That seems to work to correct the behavior for a time. I also rotate them around the tanks. I usually buy like 10 at a time from the LFS and QT them with Quick Cure.

I know many people enjoy the exotic species. That is cool too.

For me, I just use them for tank maintenance. They are also good to keep a tank cycled that is empty of Discus.

Camden
03-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Are any pleco's not suppose to be kept with discus I heard that they might suck on the slime siding of a discus and have been wary of putting any in my Discus's tanks.

swinters66
03-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Well I know the ol standard, generic plecos they sell all over, are not good. Plus they can get too large for certain tanks. I've had bad luck with otos too...

Palue
03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Bristlenose pleco is the only one in my opinion to keep with Discus....;)

messickc
03-26-2007, 12:11 AM

Well, I cant say that it's not the otos, or rubberlips, but I do know plecos are nocturnal fish that will eat anything-- including plants-- I even have a couple of plastic plants in my tank that I think mine ate through...:confused: I named mine Billy... short for billy goat.