PDA

View Full Version : Getting the right GH and PH

gta333
03-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I have been using to new ro unit for about 2 weeks now. Im using straight RO water for my daily water changes. I got a new test kit today. my GH is running at 14GH with my PH at 6.2 that is the reading Im taking from my storage barrels. My ph is 7.6 from tap with my GH right at 16Gh should I be doing a RO mix with my Tap water to get my GH reading down with-in range of what it should be. It seems that every time the breeders I have set up spawn I get infertile eggs. what would be a good mix to help be get everything with-in the range I need to be to get some successful spawns. thanks gary

Ardan
03-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Im using straight RO water for my daily water changes. I got a new test kit today. my GH is running at 14GH

IF the tank water is 14 GH and you are using straight RO, then the RO may not be working right or the lines on the RO are not set up right. Straight RO should have close to 0 GH.
Test the water straight from the RO.

Yes I have heard people use GH 2 to 4 for breeders or even a bit higher for best results .
You should always mix RO + tap so there is some minerals, the fish need some minerals for health, stable osmotic pressure......

hth
Ardan

gta333
03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the response. Im looking at the hook-up right now on the RO unit. Does anyone have a drawing or picture on the hook-up. I hooked it up just as the directions showed. this unit was pre assemabled I just had to hook up in line and take drain line for waste and the other line to my storgage barrels. Now my waste line seems to be a constant stream of water going to the drain. this does not seem right. any help will be helpful as I would like to get this fixed. thanks for your time gary

Elite Aquaria
03-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Gary,

Check out the post in the Library ===> http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemistry/index.shtml

Dan

Ringo
03-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi, the waste line will have a constant stream of water running through it. Depending on your water pressure you will waste 3-5 gallons of water for every 1 gallon of RO water. My water pressure where I live was around 45-50 psi so I purchased an RO pump to increase the pressure to 75 psi and the difference was amazing.

Good luck

gta333
03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
The water pressure we have is just fine. Its the high GH after the it is run thru the RO system. I thought that the GH would be next to nothing. I was just using straight RO. But Im starting a 75%RO to 25% conditioned Tap. I know I have the lines hook-up right. any ideas on why my hardness is still so high right at 14 to 15 GH thanks gary

Don Trinko
04-06-2007, 01:19 PM
GH and KH should be near 0 from RO water. Something may be wrong with your RO unit. PH is hard to test in RO and DI water because the chemicals used to test the PH influence the reading. If you live near a Wallmart; Most walmarts sell RO water. Buy some from them and test it. Don T.

phidelt85
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure what the residential ro units are made of. If they are cellulose acetate like the industrial ones. My point is if you have too much chlorine in the water it will actually oxidize your membranes and burn holes in it thus causing a decrease in product quality. Like I saiid I haven't worked or even seen the inside of a residential under-the-counter unit, but you may check any seals that are in it. Torn seals between membranes can lead to reject inleakage to the product as well.