PDA

View Full Version : question about ph changes

FairyDiscus
03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
My tap water reads 6.6 and my tank reads 7.0. Is this ph change harmful to Discus? I really dont want to age the water if i can help it as long as it doesnt harm them.
I have another question about my temperature.
Whilst doing a water change i turned my heater off and after emptying the tank the temp went from 30.0 to 24. I am quite concerned about this i just want to know if im doing things right before adding all my Discus.
Any help appreciated.:)

brewmaster15
03-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi,
Deja Vue...

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=56482

that'll answer the pH... as to temp.. that drop shouldn't happen that fast unless the tank is outside.:). If you are not aging the tanks replacement water , You should be able to match the temp of the new water closer.

how long does it take you to drain the tank and how much are you draining?

hth,
al

FairyDiscus
03-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your reply. I change 50% and it takes me about 15 mins to empty the tank using a jug. I find this quicker than a syphon.

FairyDiscus
03-17-2007, 04:53 PM
oh btw, the 6.6 reading was straight from the tap. I didnt age the water to test it.

brewmaster15
03-17-2007, 05:07 PM
First you need to age it and test to really know what it is....Its easy enough to do in a bucket.

The draining.... How big is the tank?

The temp should not drop that much in 15 minutes...I'd double check how long its taking you there... but really... Depending on where you are draining to...a siphon should be quicker...just use the biggest diameter hose you can buy for it... or invest in a power head driven one..

It'll be alot quicker and easier.

hth,
al

FairyDiscus
03-17-2007, 05:25 PM
The tank is 47g. The temp went down that far about 5 minutes into the water change. The alarm kept going off on the thermometer.
I will age the water in a bucket overnight and test in the morning.
Thanks for your help.