PDA

View Full Version : I think i got it now... PHOSPHATE

2jzpower
03-19-2007, 01:45 AM
i've had a small problem with algae (green and the brown stuff growing on my plants mainly amazons) in my planted discus tank. there isn't really a problem with ammonia (0) nitrite (0) or nitrate (10-20ppm) because the tank gets a 15-25% W/C every 2 days. but i use a product made by WARDLEY to get rid of the chlorines and buffer my water to a PH of 7.0..
i got curious just bought a phosphate test kit...
tested my water in the aquarium... over 2.0...
tested it while diluted (12X) with distilled water still over 2.0*12=24.0
tested my water suppluy... 0.1.... no problem there ...
tested new water with the 7.0 water conditioner... CULPRIT FOUND...
it didn't say anywhere on the package it was phosphate based... :/ but i guess that was it...

The question is what if i use a phosphate remover like Seachem's Phosguard?
will it make my ph swing or return to what it was before i added this? (PH out of tap is 7.7 i think)

the other question is how can i get my PH down to about 7.0 in an easy manner without phosphates (things like ph-down and peat can get pretty involved)

LizStreithorst
03-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Most of us here don't use chemicals to lower the pH. I don't. My pH is 8 and my fish do fine. The only reason to lower pH is if your trying to breed. In that case, it's best to use RO water which does the job in a natural way.

Tropical Haven
03-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Believe it or not if you increase your water changes from 15% to 25% every 2 days to 50 to 75% on a daily basis, you will get rid a lot of that algae that is growing in your tank.

FishLover888
03-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Remove phosphate will cause you pH shoot up in a short time since you are use it to lower you pH, which is not good for your fish. You could kill your fish in a short time.

2jzpower
03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Most of us here don't use chemicals to lower the pH. I don't. My pH is 8 and my fish do fine.

wow... 8?! i always heard try to keep em under like the 7.5 range.... oh well i'll try slowly adjusting them to the water here... hope all goes well

FishLover888
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I do use Discus Buffer to lower my pH for about a year now. Mostly is because I have no way of age my water or justify to have an RO unit because of the 90%+ rejection rate.

I use Discus Buffer to have stable pH for large volume water changes (at least 40%, sometimes up to 80% for the 125 g tank). I do have some algae in the tank. Other than that, my discus like the 40%+ water changes and they are fine as for as I can tell. My pH is about 6.3 and the tap water is about 7.6. The problem is the tap water goes to 8.3 after 24 hours. Without using Discus Buffer or age water, everytime I change water, I will have a .5 pH drop right after WC, then goes up .5 after 24 hours. My discus hated that because their color darkens after water changes and took them for a day or two to come around and I was ready for another big WC! I figured that could not be good for them and went ahead with the Discus Buffer. So far the discus show up their best colors right after WCs. I can only guess they like it very much.

I control the algae growth by turn off lights few hours at noon time (use timmers). Only have the tank lit when I'm around.

2jzpower
03-20-2007, 12:37 AM
I do use Discus Buffer to lower my pH for about a year now. Mostly is because I have no way of age my water or justify to have an RO unit because of the 90%+ rejection rate.

I use Discus Buffer to have stable pH for large volume water changes (at least 40%, sometimes up to 80% for the 125 g tank). I do have some algae in the tank. Other than that, my discus like the 40%+ water changes and they are fine as for as I can tell. My pH is about 6.3 and the tap water is about 7.6. The problem is the tap water goes to 8.3 after 24 hours. Without using Discus Buffer or age water, everytime I change water, I will have a .5 pH drop right after WC, then goes up .5 after 24 hours. My discus hated that because their color darkens after water changes and took them for a day or two to come around and I was ready for another big WC! I figured that could not be good for them and went ahead with the Discus Buffer. So far the discus show up their best colors right after WCs. I can only guess they like it very much.

I control the algae growth by turn off lights few hours at noon time (use timmers). Only have the tank lit when I'm around.

hey fishlover888, seems like we're both in about the same bind... i also use a product like the seachem product you use... both contain phosphates (yours and mine) :/ i just thought about aging water today and tried it... 7.8 out of tap then adjusted it to 7.0... an hour later 7.8 again :(

i just wish there was a better way to make it 7.0 without phosphates... and water softening and peat is not really an option right now.... (dorm room)

FishLover888
03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
If you are not going to breed them, I think Discus Buffer is fine as long as you watch the algae. Just use less time for lighting and do more WCs you should be fine. Drop in one or two BN catfish can help to keep your tank clean of algae too. My discus are fine after a year in such water and they do like the WCs. They used to hate WCs because of the pH swings.

2jzpower
03-20-2007, 01:59 PM
see i've always used the Oto- cats because i'm just too afraid of plecos eating my plants..... (there's a bunch of plants in there) but maybe the BN are not too bad?