PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about treating popeye with maracyn 2,

Russ
03-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi,
One of my discus has popeye and another has a cloudy eye, I am going to move them to a 20 gallon treatment tank and treat with Maracyn 2, the directions say add 2 tabs per 10 gallons 1st day and 1 tab per 10 gallons the next 5 days. I'm only going to be running an airstone in the tank so I'm going to do 50% WC's daily. My questions are sould I add more then 1 tab per 10 gallons on days 2-5 since I'm doing large WC's, and what temperature should I keep the tank at ?

Thanks-
Russ

aquaticplantman
03-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Yes, when you add back the 10 gallons for a water change, treat that as if it's first-day water and only add one tablet for the original 10 gallons. So the math in your case is easy: 4 tablets on the first day, and 3 three tablets for each of the other days when doing a daily 50% water change.

I think you can leave your temperature at whatever the discus are normally used to. I recently treated a couple fish with maracyn I under this regimine, and had no problems. Most people have reported that maracyn II is a pretty easy solution for popeye so I think your fish will be just fine. Mine recovered using maracyn I, and I did two full 5-day treatments just to be sure.

Good luck,
-- Matt H.

Russ
03-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Thanks Matt