PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Lose These Discus......

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
...but I just can not bring myself to do it! I have had them for almost two years and they are my least fav I am afraid....

What do you guys think? Any suggestions, opinions, or advice on HOW to pull it off or IF I should...:( I have raised them from babies and when I think what could happen to them esp at a lfs ......I can not bring myself to do it:o There has never been anything wrong with them...( except the possible worm I thought was a breeding tube...do not even go there! lol )

People sell and trade all the time, yes? I want this tank...

So ~ someone teach me how not to have a heart:p

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Camden
03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Don't look at me, I still have my first little stunted guys. Care to much about them to get rid of them. Just buy another tank :)

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
a few more ~

Thanks Guys~

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Don't look at me, I still have my first little stunted guys. Care to much about them to get rid of them. Just buy another tank :)

lol! You are no help whatsoever:) I have no room for another tank...!

Ryan
03-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Put an ad in the Buy/Sell/Trade section, say for pick-up only, and put a price on them. See if you get anyone interested.

fishmama
03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Marie-

What are your plans for that tank after they are "gone"? Any local school want them? You could help them set up an appropriate tank and lend advice on care.

billeagan
03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
I think you should try and sell them. One persons garbage is another persons treasure.

April
03-19-2007, 12:55 PM
yeah marie..what do you want that tank for? new fish from kenny??
get a huge tank...and make a big group.
or...put them in the buy sell type paper or craigslist as ryan suggested. you might find an avid discus hobbyist around there you didnt know existed. then..a new discus aquaintance..and a home for your fish.
not everyone goes on simply you know...lol. theres some discus old guys who still read magazines and buy off ads in the back of the book.

Squiggy
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
For the last time....I found those magazines and the inflatable doll in the attic when I moved in! :crazy:

Camden
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
lol! You are no help whatsoever:) I have no room for another tank...!
pff you don't need a bed and I bet a tank will fit there :D, Maybe get a stand where you can set them on top of each other? How big is the tank?

Tropical Haven
03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
I was thinking that she could get rid of her husband and all his stuff and she should have plenty of room for a lot more tanks. LOL :grin:

April
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
lol. i think she mightve done that already...
do like me marie..get rid of the stove. no more cooking..just do your wcs. add a bit of garlic..salt.beefheart...stir. turn heat up to 86. simmer slowly. say...6 years..

Ryan
03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Or she could live off of tomato on toast, hmmm?

Do what I'm about to do... ditch all your smaller tanks and buy one giant one. I even bought a flat panel TV so I could mount it to the wall and get rid of my entertainment center to make room for the giant tank. :lipsrseal:

White Worm
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Sell them, people in our area are looking for discus. I would rather sell or give someone my undesirables for a cheap price than give them to a lfs. Plus, these people are at least getting health which is one thing they wont from the lfs and then they will have to pay out the rear. I sold all of my subs that just never hit the "I really like them" mark. They were all around 2.5-4" and healthy (they werent footballs, just never got big). I just asked $20-$25 a piece. A 2" or smaller sick discus from the lfs will run them $40 a piece (been there done that). List them in craigslist and you will have interest. Just be honest. I listed them and said they wouldnt win any shows but they are good size and healthy.

April
03-19-2007, 01:52 PM
there..see..where theres a will theres a way.. good to hear ryan;...finally a big area for your discus. and a great reason for a flat tv mounted on a wall..
when are you kicking the other humans out of your house and take over ? tell them they are ready for the retirement home . get out!! lol.
squiggy..i just knew you were the type to have a blowup doll.....lol.
yeah..tomatoes on toast works...
well i should take a pic of my modern day kitchen now..i have an oven shaped like a turkey...that goes on the counter. a microwave,,toaster oven..and a hotplate. also a toaster and food steamer..what more does one need?

traco
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Don't look at it as "losing" these discus, more as you are giving someone new some well fed, healthy discus. There is someone out there close by who is just waiting for something like yours and like I said before, YOU decide where your wet pets will go to.

Go for it!!!! < note the color? I see a beautiful looking tank coming up soon in your household.;)

AmberC
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I think putting an ad up here is a good idea! I am sure someone will want them! You could find them a great home!

AADiscus
03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Do the ad thing and also check with your local fish club. They might know of someone who will take them. If you have room I would keep the healthiest one, best eater, etc. These ones are always good to keep as guinea pigs for when you need to isolate a sick fish. They keep them company and sometimes a little more active in a tank then being in there by themselves.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Don't look at it as "losing" these discus, more as you are giving someone new some well fed, healthy discus. There is someone out there close by who is just waiting for something like yours and like I said before, YOU decide where your wet pets will go to.

Go for it!!!! < note the color? I see a beautiful looking tank coming up soon in your household.;)

Only you know why:)

I will be back later to answer you guys ~ must go to work!

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Put an ad in the Buy/Sell/Trade section, say for pick-up only, and put a price on them. See if you get anyone interested.

I never thought of that Ryan! Shame on me ~ Thanks!

Marie-

What are your plans for that tank after they are "gone"? Any local school want them? You could help them set up an appropriate tank and lend advice on care.

Thanks Lisa:) I am not sure I can make them "gone"...! lol! That is an idea tho about a local school....

I think you should try and sell them. One persons garbage is another persons treasure.

Well I do not think that they are "garbage"...Bill ~ But I see your point:)

yeah marie..what do you want that tank for? new fish from kenny??
get a huge tank...and make a big group.
or...put them in the buy sell type paper or craigslist as ryan suggested. you might find an avid discus hobbyist around there you didnt know existed. then..a new discus aquaintance..and a home for your fish.
not everyone goes on simply you know...lol. theres some discus old guys who still read magazines and buy off ads in the back of the book.

Craig's List! Yes! Thanks woman ~ I really want Kenny's Violet Reflections, April....have you seen? So........not everyone comes to Simply? Really? lol!

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 05:48 PM
For the last time....I found those magazines and the inflatable doll in the attic when I moved in! :crazy:

See April's response, Joe! Too funny!

pff you don't need a bed and I bet a tank will fit there :D, Maybe get a stand where you can set them on top of each other? How big is the tank?

You are funny! The tank is 55gal...I can not put any more tanks upstairs in this house...It is not level and one cracked already...so all tank are downstairs...and there is no more room:(

I was thinking that she could get rid of her husband and all his stuff and she should have plenty of room for a lot more tanks. LOL :grin:

That is hilarious! We were laughing so hard! Already did that:D

lol. i think she mightve done that already...

:)

do like me marie..get rid of the stove. no more cooking..just do your wcs. add a bit of garlic..salt.beefheart...stir. turn heat up to 86. simmer slowly. say...6 years..

Yeah you did!! lol!

Or she could live off of tomato on toast, hmmm?

Do what I'm about to do... ditch all your smaller tanks and buy one giant one. I even bought a flat panel TV so I could mount it to the wall and get rid of my entertainment center to make room for the giant tank. :lipsrseal:

Did you really Ryan? I do want a flat panel tv for the wall.........lol! Now that would give me lots of room ~ lose the entertainment center:) One large tank huh.....hmm.......

Sell them, people in our area are looking for discus. I would rather sell or give someone my undesirables for a cheap price than give them to a lfs. Plus, these people are at least getting health which is one thing they wont from the lfs and then they will have to pay out the rear. I sold all of my subs that just never hit the "I really like them" mark. They were all around 2.5-4" and healthy (they werent footballs, just never got big). I just asked $20-$25 a piece. A 2" or smaller sick discus from the lfs will run them $40 a piece (been there done that). List them in craigslist and you will have interest. Just be honest. I listed them and said they wouldnt win any shows but they are good size and healthy.

Good Idea Mike ~ I really do not want any money ~ just a promise of a good home....

there..see..where theres a will theres a way.. good to hear ryan;...finally a big area for your discus. and a great reason for a flat tv mounted on a wall..
when are you kicking the other humans out of your house and take over ? tell them they are ready for the retirement home . get out!! lol.
squiggy..i just knew you were the type to have a blowup doll.....lol.
yeah..tomatoes on toast works...
well i should take a pic of my modern day kitchen now..i have an oven shaped like a turkey...that goes on the counter. a microwave,,toaster oven..and a hotplate. also a toaster and food steamer..what more does one need?

Yeah! Take a pic:)

I think putting an ad up here is a good idea! I am sure someone will want them! You could find them a great home!

Ya think........I hope!

Do the ad thing and also check with your local fish club. They might know of someone who will take them. If you have room I would keep the healthiest one, best eater, etc. These ones are always good to keep as guinea pigs for when you need to isolate a sick fish. They keep them company and sometimes a little more active in a tank then being in there by themselves.

That is a good idea Angela! Hey I owe you a call......dayum I just remembered! I may do that now!

White Worm
03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
What I usually do since I am also not trying to make any money is....advertise for $20-$25 a piece and I figure if someone is willing to buy them for the price after they come and see them, I usually throw in an extra or drop the price in half. With the few bucks that I do get, I can buy some more tetra bits:D . If someone is willing to pay $100 for 4 fish, I would hope that they would take care of them.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Okay....here it goes....I am going to put an add up....I feel so .......bad! What if I get someone who never had Discus before...? And then they tell me later they died or are very sick?.....

How will I ever live with that?

Marie ~ :balloon:

April
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
your going to educate them marie before you pack em up for them. tell them to bring a bucket or two..
tell them..daily wcs..bare bottom..good food..or clean clean clean water..and discus are easy.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh Crap April I did it! I am almost crying! How dumb is that? I can not believe I .....did it man....

traco
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Craig's List! Yes! Thanks woman ~ I really want Kenny's Violet Reflections, April....have you seen? So........not everyone comes to Simply? Really? lol!

You want violet reflections?:D

greyhoundfan
03-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Stick to your guns Marie. I often base my decision on how long it keeps me up at night. If keeping a fish is giving me more angst than selling it, I'd sell it. I just saw your ad in Buy and Sell and you broke one Cardinal rule.. We love pics WOMAN!! I know you are not short on them. :D

I also can tell this has given you some heartaches, that only shows that you have taken great care of your fish and the person receiving them will be lucky to have them. It also doesn't hurt to prescreen your buyers, ask em' about their experiences and their husbandry skills. Goodluck Marie.

I will follow this closely b/c I'm thinking of doing that too.. you know what I love those Violet Reflections too. That has caused me to stay up late at night!!

swinters66
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Also Marie..you dont have to sell these fish to anyone you feel isn't discus savvy....ask questions. If theyve only kept goldfish and have no idea on the care discus require...then don't sell the discus to them. Its all up to you. I bet you will find good homes for them. Wish I could take them...but no offense...I wont drive way up there from Texas :p and I dont have the money to take more fish on at this point anyhow.

Youll get good buyers for them...dont feel bad for wanting to sell them.

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I know Reid! I really want those Reflections! I have to take baby steps, however...Even if I did have a free tank...I have absolutely not one red cent to spend on anything, much less fish...and IF I did...I work every day...my next day off is during the ACA, when I have a week:) ......so I could not go get them anyways! It is tough bein me ya know? lol!

Thanks for the nice compliments ~ I will get those fish someday ~ Kenny said he will always get them....

So ~ you are thinking of finding some of yours a new home too? Well good luck to us both!

Marie ~ :gorgeous:

Kindredspirit
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Also Marie..you dont have to sell these fish to anyone you feel isn't discus savvy....ask questions. If theyve only kept goldfish and have no idea on the care discus require...then don't sell the discus to them. Its all up to you. I bet you will find good homes for them. Wish I could take them...but no offense...I wont drive way up there from Texas :p and I dont have the money to take more fish on at this point anyhow.

Youll get good buyers for them...dont feel bad for wanting to sell them.

Hey you! How the hell are ya Steph? I do feel bad...:( I really do not think that anyone will take them ~ that is okay by me tho!

Thank you!

Marie ~ :coffee:

Camden
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
You are funny! The tank is 55gal...I can not put any more tanks upstairs in this house...It is not level and one cracked already...so all tank are downstairs...and there is no more room:(

Buy an Cast Iron Stand that will hold 2 55's. I have two one that has 2 55's and one that has a 55 on top and two twenty tall tanks on the bottom. Problem solved!

jim_shedden
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Fillet them.........bit of salt and pepper..........lol

Jim

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_123.gif
aww...you mean mean man Jim! How are you!...?...besides MEAN:)

Marie ~ :wave:

jim_shedden
03-20-2007, 09:55 AM
I am well Marie. I am in the same boat as you. I am doing major renovations to the house and I am trying to consolidate my tanks. I just put a note in the "Buy / Sell" myself. I am trying to go from 5-90's down to 2 - 90's until the reno's are done.
However, I do find that the b/d's taste better than malboro red's.....JMO :)

Have a good one.

Jim

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:03 AM
However, I do find that the b/d's taste better than malboro red's.....JMO :)

Have a good one.

Jim

lol! Renovations huh? Ugh! Been there done that ~ worth it in the end if you survive!:) Five 90gals, Jim? Wow! I only have three 55gal...and I want an empty one...:(

Take some pics of your remodeling if you can!

Marie ~ :wave: