PDA

View Full Version : Household Water Softener

LNGUYEN
03-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi again after some time,

I've read many posts in this forum and come to the conclusion that there are some mix believing between using water softener and not. Right now I have a pair start to laying eggs in community tank and I'm going to move them out. I don't think I am ready for R/O yet. My tap water is 20 dGH and my softener water is 4 dGH. Since I am just beginner and reading posts in this forum get me even more confuse. I would like to know what is the final decision in this forum. Using water from softener or not. Thanks.

fishmama
03-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Good Evening-

I don't know that there is a "final decision." I am one of the few, if not the only, on this forum that has had success with my discus pair spawning and reaching the free swimmer stage in water from a household ion exchange water softener.

I think you just need to experiment, try it, check out your own results and decide for yourself. Read up on how your system works and what type of water you are starting with. You may be able to adjust some of the softener settings.

Also, keep in mind that the maturity of your pair will effect the outcome regardless of water hardness. Have your discus been in your household softened water for awhile? How have they adapted? If they are happy and healthy now, don't rule out the possibility you may produce fry...until you try!

hth
Lisa

LNGUYEN
03-20-2007, 12:28 AM
they are all in aging tap water and they are doing fine. About the pair, I don't think they are very mature yet since they laid eggs only three times so far. Even though I will wait for more replies but I will start to experiment to mix the softener water with tap water.

fishmama
03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
You might be able to effectively achieve "mixing tap w/softened" water by simply lowering your hardness setting on your softening unit. This would decrease the frequency of resin recharging, thus leaving more Ca+ and Mg+ in your tap water.

Of course, this all depends on your ultimate goal. I am simply a small hobbyist and not wanting to spend a lot on RO, etc. If I had grander ambitions, I would not hesitate to go the RO route as it is well supported. That being said, it is rather fun "exploring the boundaries"...

mycross3
03-31-2007, 01:40 PM
You might be able to effectively achieve "mixing tap w/softened" water by simply lowering your hardness setting on your softening unit. This would decrease the frequency of resin recharging, thus leaving more Ca+ and Mg+ in your tap water.

Of course, this all depends on your ultimate goal. I am simply a small hobbyist and not wanting to spend a lot on RO, etc. If I had grander ambitions, I would not hesitate to go the RO route as it is well supported. That being said, it is rather fun "exploring the boundaries"...

Could you add flourish equilibrium to increase Ca and Mg?