PDA

View Full Version : Picture Of A PERFECT Discus...Please...?

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 09:06 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_122.gif

Hey Guys ~ does anyone have a picture of a perfect discus? I want to see one ~ If this discus was posted and critiqued, it would score a 10...no flaws whatsoever please ~ perfect shape, color, eyes, you get the point!;) ( and no links..if possible? )

I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_12.gif

Tropical Haven
03-20-2007, 09:34 AM
I am right with you as well, i would love to see one as well so we have something to compare.

jim_shedden
03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
never seen one..............except for every "wild" that has come out of the Amazon.:)

Jim

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 09:54 AM
uh huh ~ o.k.a.y.......then ~ :) :)

FishLover888
03-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Look at the latest issue of TFH, they have some winners there. I don't think they are perfect but they are as good as they get in some cases.

Rod
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't know about a 10, but pretty close i reacon. Snapped at Aquarama.

Ryan
03-20-2007, 03:45 PM
That fish is awesome. If only it didn't have the slightly dented chin :(

traco
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
See? You can tell I am a rookie on the "perfect" discus. I thought that picture was it, I have a lot to learn (but it still is a pretty nice looking discus, though):)

White Worm
03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Perfect to who? Perfect to what? Hard to find a "perfect discus" because someones idea of perfect will have flaws to someone else. Mine are perfect because they are mine and I like em, lol. I think it would take a magnificent discus for all of the experts here to agree and consider it perfect. Sure would be nice to have a tankful of them (whatever they are) though.

brewmaster15
03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
technically getting a 10 on a scale of 1-10 doesn't mean its a perfect discus...it means its gotten a perfect score...which can still happen without being a "perfect" discus without flaws.:)

-al

David_Hui
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
To me, this guy had some perfect shape discus...

http://www.chanmingdiscus.com/album01.html

http://www.chanmingdiscus.com/album02.html

VL67
03-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I agree with Mikscus. I think the idea of a "perfect discus" is extremely subjective. Additionally, it seems like the more "expert" you are, the more critical you are in judging for perfection. JMO

Regards,

Vince

moik
03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Hello, I think all my discus are perfect. I enjoy having all my discus and they bring me peace of mind. Though they are not perfect by other standards. As long as I am happy with them , that is all that matters. A perfect discus is one that is healthy and puts a smile on my face. That is enough reward for me.

Rod
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I think what Marie is asking for is our own personal opinions of what a perfect discus would be. If you consider your own discus to be perfect then i for one would love to see it. It doesn't really matter what other people think as i'm sure everyone will differ.

Rod :)

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

-Ryan

Mike G
03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
The best looking pictured discus I have seen have been the champions from some the shows. There are theads with pictures from shows in the USA and threads of pictures from outside the USA. I think some of those discus would be very difficult to find fault with.

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
That fish is awesome. If only it didn't have the slightly dented chin :(

Okay Ryan...where do you see that? Are you talking about the pinch there ...like under the neck? I want to see what you see....

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Perfect to who? Perfect to what? Hard to find a "perfect discus" because someones idea of perfect will have flaws to someone else. Mine are perfect because they are mine and I like em, lol. I think it would take a magnificent discus for all of the experts here to agree and consider it perfect. Sure would be nice to have a tankful of them (whatever they are) though.

I guess in this case, Mike, I am not really talking about "our pets....or the fact that we love them no matter what"..per se'...but in the eyes of a trained eye...and some are hitting this thread ~

....is what I seek here:)

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
technically getting a 10 on a scale of 1-10 doesn't mean its a perfect discus...it means its gotten a perfect score...which can still happen without being a "perfect" discus without flaws.:)

-al

Oh. I never thought of it that way, Al....so ~ a perfect score does not necessarily mean a perfect fish....interesting ~

Thank you ~

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Hello, I think all my discus are perfect. I enjoy having all my discus and they bring me peace of mind. Though they are not perfect by other standards. As long as I am happy with them , that is all that matters. A perfect discus is one that is healthy and puts a smile on my face. That is enough reward for me.

I so agree:) I just wanted to elaborate on the perfect looking discus...I guess..does that make sense?

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

-Ryan

I give up.

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:39 PM
To me, this guy had some perfect shape discus...

http://www.chanmingdiscus.com/album01.html

http://www.chanmingdiscus.com/album02.html

Thank You David:) There are some nice shapes...AND...I swear there was a lavendar discus among the bunch....pretty dayum close to perfect I'm thinking:)

Kindredspirit
03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I think what Marie is asking for is our own personal opinions of what a perfect discus would be. If you consider your own discus to be perfect then i for one would love to see it. It doesn't really matter what other people think as i'm sure everyone will differ.

Rod :)

I guess...in retrospect I have no clue what I was looking for here...!:o I just wanted to see ....hell ~ I guess a discus that has close to no flaws and an awesome shape... Rod...your pic was awesome!

I did not mean to have anyone think that " well I love mine and no he is not perfect"....I guess I should have said I wanted to see a Grade A ....instead of perfect?

Thanks Rod ~

Marie ~ :balloon:

architect1
03-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Beauty is to the eye of the beholder. Beauty for me is them haven big round bodies. I hate runts. they piss me off the most. The reason is because I was a runt at one point I think that hate them so much.

GrillMaster
03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
You can show perfect discus all day long...

Would love the info on how to get them that way. Kinda like Greg was trying to do in his thread. :)

I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but unfortunately that doesn't make it a show stopper or good for breeding.

I thought mine were great. :) Then I got a rude awakening!! Now if I get a breeding pair, I feel I am not ready cause the fish are not up to par...:o My fault I admit, but I want to breed, an want to know how to raise them to breeding quality...

I get 6 excellent quality fish (2.5-3") from a respected sponsor. Stick them in a 55G BB, how does one go about losing the weak chin, the cichlid hump, odd shaped with weak dorsal an anal fins etc...You feed em 5 times a day, change 70% of the water each night. What else can you do??

OK Mario..... How do ya do it?? :D

tc
Mark

AADiscus
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
A perfect Discus is like a perfect human. It isn't there. When you do find the perfect discus make sure it is a pair so you can breed them. lol

tpl*co
03-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Then isn't there practices that people "doctor" their discus to make them appear better? (like people out there getting surgeries?).

And Angela, does pretty parents guarantee pretty offspring? LOL, I'll stop there (thinking of celeb. babies).

Tina

FishLover888
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I think I heard people trim the fins of their fish to look better, like the show dogs/cats having their fur done before a big show.

Not sure if that is good for the discus.

architect1
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I Know barb trims her discus fins if they get to big and things like that. I was amazed when i heard you can do that. right now I'm thinking about trimming my Blue turq cause her fins are growing longer in some spots.

I just want to learn how to not get stunted discus. i hate haven stunted. I feed them 5 -7 times a day and I also do 50% water changes.

Since I started do that I notice a hu8ge difference in growth.

Polar_Bear
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Hmmmmm... oddly both Al and Ryan posted to this thread and didn't mention this so I will. This very site has an area called Discus University, I would suggest those that are unsure what a good discus should look like would be advised to check there.

Kindredspirit
03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I would suggest those that are unsure what a good discus should look like would be advised to check there.

Not only that........you showed me one:)

wolfbane
03-21-2007, 08:55 PM
In dogs, there is a standard, the ideal of a certain breed, no one dog can be the perfect representative, but the standard is what the are judged against, with points for this and that. Is there a standard that we as discus owners and breeders aspire to? I mean a written standard that one can use as a guideline. And , yes, I realize everyone interprets a standard a little differently.

tpl*co
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Andrew's book, "The Naked Truth" has a pretty good grading scale, but I don't think it'll do for the high fin, high body or bull dog strains.

Tina

roclement
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
triming fins, and even removing fat tissue is comonn in Asia with fishes like Koi and Arowanas, when you sell a fish for thousands of dollars, it starts to get the makeover treatment! Do a Utube search and you will find video of such surgeries.

If you take a wild discus as an example of breed standard, than most perfectly round fish out there are out of consideration, also finnage and eye color and size, make new strains fall out of "standard", I guess there will never be a perfect discus, just a discus that is perfect for you!

Rod

mmorris
03-22-2007, 05:15 PM

-al

Is this 1-10 scale a scale used internationally or just in America? I can't imagine the British agreeing with the idea that a 10 doesn't mean perfect. In the English university system, a 70 percent on a paper is considered a distinction because it is believed, rightfully so, that there is no such thing as a perfect paper. Martha

Deepak
03-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Don't know about a 10, but pretty close i reacon. Snapped at Aquarama.

Strain ? I've 4 of these

Rod
03-23-2007, 04:47 AM
Strain ? I've 4 of these

Don't know the strain name, he came first in the yellow class.

Ed13
03-24-2007, 09:39 PM
In fish is rather hard to establish a specific standard in the first place because of the variability of fish within the same strain, (among Red turks for example). I'm no judge and have no clue as to how they REALLy do it, but I imagine that there are certain characteristics to look for like roundness, size, eye size and color, fins(shape, size,color), color and pattern and uniformity of them and things to avoid like genetic defects, scars, irregular fins, non uniform patterns and colors etc, As to how to decide which are more important then I...........

If you take a wild discus as an example of breed standard, than most perfectly round fish out there are out of consideration, also finnage and eye color and size, make new strains fall out of "standard", I guess there will never be a perfect discus, just a discus that is perfect for you!

Rod

In wilds I beleive there is very little to look for like scars, deformities, broken stress bars and size, everything else is too subjective since they are created by natural selection. The way I see it, besides the characteristics above, they are "perfect like" and represent fairly their strain. Any other trait(like roundness) is completely human perceived and can only be judge in domestics. Thats why I don't like wild classes in shows judged as equals with domestics, but I do admit that they belong and for some are what to look for but they perhaps should be chosen diferently maybe a joined vote between judges and the public present or by the net Just my opinion.

Don Trinko
03-27-2007, 07:48 AM
I like the old brown discus similar to the wild ones with bars and all. It's actualy hard to find them in our area so I got 4 Blue Diamonds. They are pretty but I prefer the "wild" type. Don T.

Apistomaster
03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I think wild discus are the gold standard of what a discus is or should be.

All of domestics have been subjectively selected for their traits and the traits are judged by people who have adopted standards that are also subjective.

Ultimately what is a "perfect" discus is very much a matter of taste.

I think my preferences have become fairly well known here as running towards the wild types.

I only raise a few domestic strains because the are what most people want to buy. I admire them for their brilliant colors but that is about it.

Larry W.

Darren's Discus
03-30-2007, 07:11 PM
What is perfect ?
1. the state or quality of being or becoming perfect.
2. the highest degree of proficiency, skill, or excellence, as in some art.
3. a perfect embodiment or example of something.
4. a quality, trait, or feature of the highest degree of excellence.
5. the highest or most nearly perfect degree of a quality or trait.
6. the act or fact of perfecting .

I think we see a lot of it here people who are striving to perfect a certain strain,improve breeding lines Ect,I think for myself a perfect round shape is the main feature i look for, colour and type less as important as shape nice specimen Rod showed i also think it does have a weak chin.

cheers