PDA

View Full Version : question about aged water does it go bad?

2jzpower
03-20-2007, 05:21 PM
how long can aged water sit in the container?
i use dechlorinator
temp 86
ph 7.8

if any of that matters...

i was just wondering if it goes bad

Tropical Haven
03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
It doesn't go bad, just keep a airstone in it to keep the water circulating and it will be fine.

hank
03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
If I do not use my aged water within two days I always get nitrites in it. I always check my water if not used for several days. Hank

FishLover888
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
If I do not use my aged water within two days I always get nitrites in it. I always check my water if not used for several days. Hank

Yes, that make sense. You could have a kind of mini cycle going on in the storage tank since there is some nitrifying bacteria in your storage tank already, especially if the tank has not been totally cleaned for a while. If the water stays there for too long, you may end up with some nitrates in it too, not much but some.

2jzpower
03-21-2007, 02:46 AM
wow that's wierd..... wonder what it's feeding on???

dishpanhands
03-21-2007, 03:24 AM
wow that's wierd..... wonder what it's feeding on???

If I was to guess I would say they have chloramine and they dechlor only get rid or the chlorine and leaves the ammonia and the storage tank take the ammonia and changes it to nitrite..All you need to do to fix this is put a fully cycled filter in the storage tank..Right now the staorage tanks has part of the fitler already started...
HTH

troyclark
03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I have two large (1-300 and 1-210) storage tanks and have found that the water seems fresher and the tanks don't get scummy nearly as quick if I don't add Prime until I am ready for the water changes. I let the chloromines do its job until I am ready to use the water. I age my water 24 hours and then use Prime to take care of the Chlormines, Chlorine, and Ammonia. I add Prime about 10 minutes before I WC and have never had a problem with it. I have heard that Prime works almost instantly. HTH

troyclark

bavaria36
03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
I have had the same problem. Sometimes the water goes scummy and I can feel slime on the air line and pump line in the holding tank. I could never figure out why and I regularly have to empty the tank completely and then clean it out. I could also smell the water sometimes and never figured out what was going on.

Now I realize that as I often add Tetra Aquasafe when the tank starts to fill it could be releasing the ammonia that then feeds the bacteria ( or maybe even some algae )

Good thread !

Aaron